Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

truck wont start need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation truck wont start need some advise

ok so I checked my engine by trying to turn the crank shaft on my 97 4.6 and the crank does turn so I know the engine is good I checked the battery and its fine I had the starter tested and its fine I cleaned the battery terminals replaced the starter solenoid checked fuses and even attempted to jump it still wont start does any body have any suggestions on what I should do next? thank you for your help
Old 04-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you say it won't start...do you mean it won't turn over? If so, after all the things you've tried the cables might be bad or have a bad connection.

They may need to be cleaned between the solenoid and the starter. And make sure the ground cable has a good clean connection at the block.

What testing did you do to determine that the battery was good? A voltage level does not mean that it has the capacity to crank and engine. You would need to load test it to be sure.

Otherwise use a voltmeter to be sure you are getting a signal when you turn the key...or jump across the terminals to see if it will turn over.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Check the ignition key cylinder. If you have a tilt column it is really easy to take out. Put the key in the ignitions, turn the key halfway to the first position, there is a small pin underneath the ignition you will need a small pin to push it as you pull the cylinder out. If it gives you problems, make sure the key is turned enough. After you pull it out check the metal strips for loose ones or broken ones. A new ignition is $15.00. Good luck. If you don't have tilt column you have to go into the steering wheel to take the cylinder out.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Default thank you

i got the truck started now it runs and drives i just had to replace the terminal on the power wire to the starter thanks for all your help people i greatly appreciate it

Quick Reply: truck wont start need some advise