Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Truck won't start...help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start...help!!!!

Hi, I have a newer body style 2004 F150 FX4. My truck started up and ran fine untill I got 3km up the road and the "wrench light" came on as I lost power and the truck then died. It started back up as I tried to get it back home and once again did the same all within 30 seconds. The battery became extremely weak.

The alternator was the first thing I thought but nope...it's fine
The fuel pump driver module I replaced...not that either
I then looked a little deeper and found that the power distribution box is drawing power?!?...is this normal with nothing on?

I started unplugging plugs throughout the fuse panel and found the power draw would stop once some were unplugged but absolutely no consistency between plugs which made think it's the panel itself....not the case. Put another one in also and still no go.

Any ideas other than stripping the truck apart looking for a short? The truck will fire but die out within 2-3 seconds.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I would start by putting in a new or fully charged battery. Even with the engine off there are power draws on the electrical system. It's possible your battery may have a shorted cell, which will kill the alternator as well.If it starts and runs, check the battery for a 13.5 to 14 volt charge . Unless you have had damage to the truck, I doubt it's a short. Good luck
Old 09-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

put a charged battery in and pull the codes, not to be mean but start with the basics first. Autozone provides tool rentals if needed, just need deposit and pay rental tax on return.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the inertia (fuel line cutoff) switch? It could be you hit a bump and the fuel line was cut off, and the battery problems are separate.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all your responses. I tried a new battery and inertia switch and both are not the problem. I looked into thing deeper and found the power door locks are drawing the power mentioned previously...not sure why that is yet. Keep me posted if you guys have any other suggestions. Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM

I have a 1992 f-150 that won't start, I changed the spark plugs cuz it's sounds like it's misfiring, it starts if I give it gas but shakes really bad. What can do this? I was thinking plugs, the cables or distribute recap, any ideas????
Old 10-02-2014, 12:38 PM

It was running fine and then the next day it started acting like this.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you try disconnecting the lock actuator harness at the door locks? start at the furthest away from the driver door switch, could be possible one of the rocker switches is stuck causing the power to stay on. Don't have a diagram in front of me but i believe your power windows should be tied into the hot feed from the switches as well. Just an idea, I would take a good look at a diagram to see what else is tied in to better diagnose where the possible draw is. Is the fuse popping? if not cant be a pinched wire shorting out so would definitely hint to problem internally on something electronic keeping a closed circuit. Break out the meter and do a continuity test to determine if the switches are closing and opening.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Elgallo
I have a 1992 f-150 that won't start, I changed the spark plugs cuz it's sounds like it's misfiring, it starts if I give it gas but shakes really bad. What can do this? I was thinking plugs, the cables or distribute recap, any ideas????

Start your on thread, don't hijack this one.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:31 PM

Hey, I haven't got too far with the door locks. Simply because now my fuel pump isn't running...the thing that makes the most sense of all now. So unfortunately my next step is to drop the tank...which is full of gas. Not looking forward to it but got to getter fixed on the cheap as possible. Thanks

Quick Reply: Truck won't start...help!!!!