Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Truck Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Won't Start

Hey guys. I need some help. My 2001 4.2 v6 truck just won't run. The original block was busted on the truck when we got it. Found another one from a wrecked truck but the engine didn't have any damage to it other than a busted fan. Traded out the fan for the one that came with the truck. The injectors and spark plugs look brand new, fixed the fuel pump issue, and replaced all freeze plugs, and changed the oil. It has 35-40 fuel pressure and we just can't figure it out. Please help!!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is it doing when you hit the key? Missing alot of info here
Old 10-03-2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky666
What is it doing when you hit the key? Missing alot of info here
When the keys in the on position, all lights come on and the pump comes on and cycles through. When we crank it, it turns over. I'm sorry for the lacking info. I'm going off what my grandfather explains to me as I am still learning.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 PM

Is it trying to fire at all or just spinning over and over? Try pulling one of the spark plug wires slightly out of the ignition coil while turning the truck over to see if it will arc from the coil to the spark plug end. Should only have to pull it out about half an inch. There should be a very distinct POP sound like a taser. That will tell you if you're getting a spark. If yes, move on to the next one. Do that for all 6 plug wires and then get back to me.

Last edited by Spanky666; 10-03-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky666
Is it trying to fire at all or just spinning over and over?
It's trying to fire, yes.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:40 PM

See edited post above.

Also, check air filter. As silly as it may seem, if it's not getting enough air, it wont run. If the air-filter looks questionable, remove and try running it for a short amount of time. If it runs, it needs a new air filter. Given the info we have so far, these are wild stabs until we know what is and what isn't.

Quick Reply: Truck Won't Start