Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

truck shuts off after cleaning throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck shuts off after cleaning throttle body?

I believe I messed up big time, haha. Let me start off by explaining what I'm working with. I've got a 2004 xlt 2wd 4.6L v8 f150 and I had a slightly rough idle so I decided to take on the task of cleaning out my gummed up throttle body. Being the genius that I am, I didn't do any research and instead just grabbed a can of throttle body cleaner, grabbed a tooth brush and started spraying and scrubbing away at the inside of the throttle body. I opened up the butterfly valve with my fingers(bad idea?)and scrubbed all around it until it looked fairly clean. Once i was done i reconnected my air intake to the throttle body and started her up and thats when the problems really began. My truck revs really high on the start up then creeps down for about ten seconds then shoots back up and eventually just shuts off on its own, almost as if it is being starved of air or fuel. im hoping i didnt screwed up a sensor or or valve or something but the way it's running leads me to believe that I did. Does anybody know what is going on or how to fix it?

Ps. Like an idiot I failed to disconnect my battery before doing this project which I'm thinking might Be adding to the problem.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by spencerasousa
I believe I messed up big time, haha. Let me start off by explaining what I'm working with. I've got a 2004 xlt 2wd 4.6L v8 f150 and I had a slightly rough idle so I decided to take on the task of cleaning out my gummed up throttle body. Being the genius that I am, I didn't do any research and instead just grabbed a can of throttle body cleaner, grabbed a tooth brush and started spraying and scrubbing away at the inside of the throttle body. I opened up the butterfly valve with my fingers(bad idea?)and scrubbed all around it until it looked fairly clean. Once i was done i reconnected my air intake to the throttle body and started her up and thats when the problems really began. My truck revs really high on the start up then creeps down for about ten seconds then shoots back up and eventually just shuts off on its own, almost as if it is being starved of air or fuel. im hoping i didnt screwed up a sensor or or valve or something but the way it's running leads me to believe that I did. Does anybody know what is going on or how to fix it?

Ps. Like an idiot I failed to disconnect my battery before doing this project which I'm thinking might Be adding to the problem.

Answered in your other post.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we get a link to his other post?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Bock
Can we get a link to his other post?
Click on the User name "spencerasousa" then click to see other posts by user
Very easy to find w/someone w/only 4 posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/can-th...e-leak-290281/
Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did that after I posted that. Didn't realize he only had 4 posts. Apologies.

Quick Reply: truck shuts off after cleaning throttle body?