Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

truck randomly dying out! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation truck randomly dying out! HELP!

so sometimes when the fuel level gets below 1/4 tank, or if i go fast on a long off ramp, or if im just reaming to much (lol) the truck will randomly die out. all these signs seem to point (to me anyway) towards a dying fuel pump, or a clogged fuel pickup in the tank. am i thinking correctly?

does this seem to be an inherent problem? thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:10 AM

Dude, when my fuel pump started to go, it died in less than 1 hour. Haines city to lakeland 30 miles. 95 f150
Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 PM

well does excess dirt in the tank clogging the pick up sound possible then? it just does it once in a while. sometimes 10 times per drive, sometimes none. depends on the conditions and how im driving.

if i just creep around down town and dont take corners fast, its probably not gonna happen. im on backroads reaming, flying around corners, its probably going to.

this just doesnt really sound like a purely electrical issue.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:31 PM

dirt or moisture is a possibility. when i remove my fuel filter, to replace it, it was full of sand.and to replace my fuel pump, i cut an access panel in the bed. (my fuel pump is in the tank.) so i was able to remove the pump i had just installed, suction the gas out, and flush and shop vac my tank. it was tricky, but it worked. by the way, i am a carpenter by trade, half *** mechanic when i need to be.i own a 95 f150 4x4 xlt 5.8, it has given me a crash course as a mechanic. i love my truck, and all is well....today.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:18 PM

i swear this will be my last bump. desperatly searching for more ideas, not looking forward to dropping the tank
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 PM

Default An option

When my fuel pump went. I was far from home. Money is tight so i called a bro for help. He brought a tank he had lying around. We strap it down in the bed straight wired it from the battery( had to disconnect it when not in use.) disconnected my original fuel line from the filter hook up the spare tank, and i was able to drive until i was able to repair. But i didnt drop my tank, i removed my bedliner, cut the bed, 8"x12" made a 10"x14" access panel . Re-installed bed liner .
Old 06-11-2009, 02:56 PM

sounds like a good idea, but dont you think it would be a good idea to maybe clean the tank and the pickup on such an old truck?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM

dude, the tank in the bed, was temporary. read previous replies, i did flush my tank. whether i wash my truck or not, is not your f^*king concern. good luck with your truck.

Quick Reply: truck randomly dying out! HELP!