Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Truck does not run well...any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck does not run well...any ideas???

I have a 99 f-150 with a 4.2L V-6 and it has about 218,000 miles on it.

Going down the highway it abruptly lost power and it would not restart. I took it to a mechanic and he could get it to start (occasionally) and it would actually run great some of the time. Other times it would not run the greatest and blows white smoke out of the exhaust. Most of the time it doesn't start at all, which is the case right now. He says the fuel pressure is fine and there were no codes that indicate anything is wrong. He checked a lot of connectors and ended up changing the coil, plug wires, and plugs with no help. He gave up after a while and suggested that I take it to a ford dealer next. He believes there is a wiring/electrical issue somewhere or maybe the computer is acting up.

I don't really have the money to get it to a dealer any time soon so if anyone has any ideas that I can try, I will certainly appreciate it. Right now it is just sitting in my driveway...
Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
I live 4 Him He died 4 Me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White smoke could mean its burning water/antifreeze meaning a head gasket or the head itself, Ill let someone with more experience chime in. GL
Old 08-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Well I had some time to tinker with the truck this weekend. Saturday morning it decided that it wanted to run. It still idled a little rough and blew a little white smoke out the exhaust. The compression on all the cylinders is pretty good and all the cylinders have spark. I also didn't see any sign of coolant in the oil. I even took the plenum off and checked out the injectors. They are getting voltage and have the correct resistance. I pulled up the fuel rail with them attached to see how they spray and they all look good. After I got everything back together, the truck still runs but it is laboring hard. Any ideas?

By the way...I forget to mention that the mechanic that I took it to before said that it did run very well and took it for a couple test drives at one point. So I must have electrical issues, right?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 PM

any trouble codes?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 PM

no

Quick Reply: Truck does not run well...any ideas???