Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Tricky Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tricky Noise

I have a stock 04 ford f150 5.4 FX4. Now I have just had a new engine installed into my truck. New spark plugs. Water pump. Oil pump. Oil change few days ago. The works!! But as I've been driving I've noticed a weird noise coming from the engine compartment area. It's a metal sound. But sounds sort of like a small tree branch being drug under the truck. It only occurs during acceleration. Not at a certain rpm or mph. In neutral doesn't make the sound when revved to high rpm. It took a lot of people looking at it to figure out it isn't the engine. So looked at my front drive assembly. I had a boot on my cv axles that was cut and slinging grease everywhere. So I replace both half shafts. From then on the noise has quieted down and not as frequent. But still there. And in 4wd my truck pulls the right which is not normal for my truck. My brake pads are fine. Front tires have 4k miles on them. but I do need new rotors. I did check my hubs and they seemed fine. Diff fluid is fine. U joints from transfer case to diff are fine. The noise occurs on the left side sometimes and sometimes the right or both together. And I know I can not be the only person that's had this same problem before in history so I need some type of help please. Oh and the noise is rapid. Not like a slow knock like if a spline on the pinion gear in my diff broke. So that's why I ruled out the diff as a problem thanks

Quick Reply: Tricky Noise