Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Transmission Problems Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems Please Help

Hello Everybody,

I’m new to this forum I’m really hoping with all the ford experts here somebody can help me. I’m at my wits end.It’s a bit of a long story so please bear with me.I have a 1994 Ford F150 XL, 4x2,4.9L, Auto Trans.I love my truck I’ve had it for 15 yrs now.About 8 months ago the transmission started jumping out of gear mainly at driving speeds.When I say jumping out of gear I’ll be doing say 40 mph and all of a sudden it’s like in neutral engine revs but truck doesn’t go if I let off the gas a bit it will usually go back into gearand drive fine for a half mile and do it again and again.Next day truck runs fine no jumping out of gear it does it usually once or twice a week.

I took it to a tranny shop and they rebuilt the transmission $1600 worth. A week later its doing the same exact thing. The truck has been back to the transmission shop 4 times now for the same problem. Last time they had it for almost a month.I’ve been driving it for about two months now since getting it out of the shop its been fine then 2 days ago same thing keeps jumping out of gear.Today I crawl under the truck to get some numbers off the transmission and I noticed its not even the same transmission I had rebuilt!!!

The pan has a different shape and you can see where the driveshaft isn’t riding in the tailshaft where it normally wouldits shiny, so since these crooks couldn’t figure out why it was jumping out of gear they must have put a junkyard transmission it the truck hoping that would fix the problem.I will deal with them tomorrow about this but, my point is even with a different transmission in the truck it’s still doing the same thing this leads me to believe it may be something other than the transmission causing the problem……Any Ideas?????

Im to the point now where im considering getting rid of my truck because I can't rely on it. I love my truck and don't want to get rid of it but I'm at my wits end.

Thanks

Ken

Old 05-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Ford Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default tranny issue

Kenfusion - I've never had similar experience but it could be the linkage is causing an 'auto shift.' that's the only thing I could think of. As for them changing your tranny without even a heads up -- UNSAT!

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems Please Help