Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Transmission Jump at 45mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Jump at 45mph

Does anyone have any idea why the transmission on my '04 f150 pickup jumps, skips, at 45mph? It always does this and particularly on cruise control. If my foot is near the accelerator at 45, the transmission snatches. If it is on cruise control, it does it alone. I have touched it with such smoothness when accelerating that it should lull it to sleep, but it still jerks. ONLY at 45 mph!

The dealership technicians say nothing is wrong, they cannot get it to do it when they drive it, but it has done it with everyone in my family.

Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:02 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiseroption
Does anyone have any idea why the transmission on my '04 f150 pickup jumps, skips, at 45mph? It always does this and particularly on cruise control. If my foot is near the accelerator at 45, the transmission snatches. If it is on cruise control, it does it alone. I have touched it with such smoothness when accelerating that it should lull it to sleep, but it still jerks. ONLY at 45 mph!

The dealership technicians say nothing is wrong, they cannot get it to do it when they drive it, but it has done it with everyone in my family.

Any ideas?

Is your truck a 2x4 or a 4x4? Does it have a limited slip rear or not? What do you mean when you say "jump skip"? Do you mean you feel a slip and then a hard shift into OD? There are some problems that require different things from a simple reflash of the cpu to greasing the slip yoke to replacement of the driveshaft or even rebuilding the rear axle. You may just need to find a spot that you can get it to do it more frequently then take the mechanic for a ride. I had a shifting problem in my 02 and I had the transmission mechanic for an hour trying to reproduce it. I never got it to do it in their presence so I ask to see the factory rep and I took him for a ride. I explained my concerns to him and he acknowledge what I was talking about. He also assured me that it wasn't going to hurt anything and gave me a free extended powertrain warranty. You may also just want to try another dealer and have a second set of eyes look at it. Sometimes that's all that's needed.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are most likely feeling a misfire when you are in overdrive when a coil is going bad it will usually mis under a load in overdrive

Quick Reply: Transmission Jump at 45mph