Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

transmission fluid change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:19 AM
BODACIOUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid change intervals

my f-150 4.6l with the metric trans has 108,000+/- and reviewing my service records has never had the fluid changed in the trans my service manual says no specific change interval for the eod trans why is this and do i need to change it
it is a light red in color and smells fine so it doesnt appear to be bad but im out of date on these newer vehicles thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Inspector Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best to change it every 50k or so, I've heard. I know from experience that if you don't change it for a long time, then don't change it at all. Once you get new fluid into a dirty transmission, it pulls all that dirt and debris out, and then it circulates through and wreaks havoc. My first truck, a 1991 Ford Ranger burned up the transmission with 260,000 miles because after I inherited it from my family's company, I changed the transmission oil for the first time...

I'd suggest you swap that fluid out pretty soon, while it's still clean. The oil change places do a pretty good job with it because rather than just getting the fluid out of the pan like you'd do at home, they actually circulate fluid through the transmission and flush all of it out, including all the oil in the torque converter. The drawback is no filter change.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid change intervals