Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Transfer case problem

Old 04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Pistol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transfer case problem

Hi Guys
Wondering if you can advise me on something.I have an 05 Ford F150 4.6 liter&a Borg warner xfer case.I took the truck out in some mud,got stuck up to the axles.I rocked it back&forth in an attempt to free it to no avail.Another pickup with a winch got me out.Now I think the case is messed up.When I shift from 4wd hi back to 2wd,I take off&then I hear this buzzing sound as i accelerate.I slow down almost to stop&CLUNK goes into 2wd.
I experimented a little more trying to avoid that clashing so I go back to 4wd at 30MPH then back to 2wd.This time after shifting back to 2wd while moving,I slow down almost to a stop&I hear a click noise which is normal&the thing sounds normal.Can a transfer case in this condition mess up the tranny or any other component of the drive train?Advise would be appreciated thanks,Pete
Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It sounds more like 1 or both of your hubs aren't unlocking. That would make more sense because they are more sensitive to dirt and moisture than anything else in the drivetrain. To check this (only on 2004 to present model years) start the truck in 2wd, and as its idling, see if you can turn both front axle shafts. (should be able to). Then shut the truck off, and see if you can turn them. When the truck is OFF, they should be LOCKED. Then do the same with the truck running, shifting between 2wd and 4wd, and see if they're locking and unlocking respectively. That's the first thing I'd check, and go from there.

Also, if you hubs don't unlock, you will still hear the tranfercase, because it will be turning. My truck occasionally does something similar. When you go from 4hi to 2hi on the fly, it may not disengage right away, or until I stop. Water or dirt in the vaccumm lines to the hubs will cause this. Check that before you get nervous!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Pistol

Hi Driver
Your the only one that responded to my post&wish to thank you.I have spoken to some others&they say that The integrated wheel end solenoid is the problem.I dont know how i would test it.Its on the firewall&have yet to locate it.
I did notice that every time I would bring my truck to the car wash,thats when the problem would occur.I have no problem when in 4wd.The fun starts when I shift back to 2wd.When I hear the grinding,I immediatley slow down&then i hear a CLUNK noise,then I would be fine.Then sometimes not engaging the the 4wd,It does it without warning.Now with the warm weather finally here,the problem hasnt occured.Im wondering now if the integrated wheel end unit is damaged on the axle CV joint.I dont think i will go to a car wash again.The blast from the jets in the car wash probably do something to the mechanism.I will watch it.I will do what you say&test the front axle shaft as you so described.Winter really messed with the mechanism,Ice accumulation,snow,whatta mess
If you have Chilton Manual,it tells you how to remove&check the IWE.I did a search online&found better diagrams&if you want,I can make these diagrams available to you.Let me know&thanks again...Regards,Pete
Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Yep, the problem you describe is EXACTLY what I had.

The IWE solenoid is just a tiny little black thing located on the firewall behind the battery, and has a couple wires, and a couple vaccuum tubes going to it. The whole thing is the size of a silver dollar. If in doubt, the part is cheap and easy to replace. I'd just go ahead and do it.

The wheels ends can be checked pretty easily. Jack up the truck. When the truck isn't running, No vaccuum, your shafts should be locked (2 or 4wd). When you start the truck in 2wd, they should unlock. Then put it in 4wd, they will relock. Back to 2wd, they'll unlock again. If they do this, they're functioning properly.

Now the wheel ends themselves could have a vaccuum leak that either prevents them from unlocking, or tries to lock while you're driving, BUT, yours are eventually unlocking, so I doubt that's it. Also, when they do try to lock while driving, you'll get a grinding noise that's pretty unmistakeable. That can be tested with a vaccuum pump and guage. I believe someone on here said that the wheel end should not lose more than a pound of vaccuum per minute.

I imagine the car wash thing could be the problem. In winter months, I occasionally go through that touchless carwash, (hate to do it, but I hate salt more, and my garage has no heat). That is also when I seemed to get my symptoms. Also, if you look at where the vaccuum tubes go onto the IWE's, they just push on. No clamps or anything. I'm surprised that more of them don't just fall off. It probably is possible that something got in there. Or maybe through the vent line that runs along with the vaccuum line.

What I did that seemed to fix the problem was, disconnect the line at the IWE, and the solenoid, and shoot some air through there. The air needs to go in at the IWE end though, because there are check valves in the system. Try that

Last edited by driver444; 04-20-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Pistol

Hi Driver
Thanks for the valuable info.Im wondering now if those Integrated wheel ends on the front axle shafts are damaged because of the grinding?Is it ok if the thing just freewheels while in 2wd?I hesitate bringing it back to the dealer&yes I did,crawl underneath under the front axles&was shocked as to how those vacuum lines just slide on the IWEs like you say.Ford could have done a better job than that I have no problem going into 4wd&then back to 2wd.Im not too comfortable of the halfshafts,CV joints,front driveshaft freewheeling in 2wd
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Pistol

Hi Driver
Ok...just got back from looking under the hood.I did locate the IWES.We had some bad thunderstorms last night&when I lifted up the hood,the water flowed on the solenoid insulation!!!!!! I said to myself,THIS IS NUTS!!Maybe this could be the culprit?Shoot....if this is all that there is,then I will replace it.30 bucks aint gonna bust the bank here.Hope that will be it.
You did say that the hubs will eventually unlock the CV joints,halfshafts,front driveshaft when in 2wd?Wish I could know when.Thanks for this info&its very much appreciated.Will let you know how I do....Regards,Pete
Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM

That was the problem with the ealier IWE solenoids (some '06's and earlier). The water would run right down on top of them, especially when you opened the hood. The newer ones have a plastic cover over them to prevent that. (which one do you have?)

Also, as far as the hubs unlocking, you can tell. While you're driving, if both hubs are locked, you will be able to hear the transfer case turning. And if only one unlocks, you'll hear the front differential whining, and feel a vibration in your feet as you accelerate.

I doubt you damaged the hubs. They were designed and tested to be engaged at speed, according to the WARN website. It's not like you did it 100 times.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember this solenoid problem. As has been pointed out it would get wet and no lockup . As I recall those that had the problem discovered it when they needed their front axles to get out of a jam and it refused to lock up. These people where speaking in tongues big time. Something to be said for the old manual hub's. When these pissed off people visited the local Ford dealer the service department looked like The River Dance Troop dancing around the issue, even worse the solenoid would dry out a start working again, at the dealer.

Last edited by transmaster; 04-22-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Pistol

Transmaster
I like your post!!Driver,I got the part from the dealer this morning(the Integrated wheel end solenoid)installed it,tested it like you said while engine running,rotated the front driveshaft in 2wd&IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!HOLY COW!!!I thought It would be a BIG repair job!
I dont know why Ford decided to locate the IWES up on the right firewall behind the batteryEverytime it rains&open the hood for something,guess where some of the water goes?OVER THE SOLENOID!No wonder why it shorted out! Ford can do a better job locating that solenoid somewhere else.Just DUMB!Cost cutting measure I guess.
At any rate thanks for your help.Hope this helps others suffering from the same problem.Anyone that needs help with this system,I do have diagrams I can email to anyone.Im sure others on this forum do as well.I know the pain one goes thru when their baby is not running as she should.Regards....Pete
Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Pistol

Driver
The Old IWED solenoid looks like the new one!Kinda scary.When I installed the new solenoid,I wrapped it up in aluminum foil.Hope this prevents water from getting in....Pete

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer case problem