Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

TPMS Issue - 2006 F150 STX

Old 07-18-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Issue - 2006 F150 STX

I bought a 2006 F150 STX Supercab with the TPMS light on. The guy I bought it from said he had tried to fix one of the tires recently and thats what triggered the light.

I replaced all the tires and the mechanic said that none of the tires had the sensors so I asked him to install them. They were unable to pair the sensors so they did some troubleshooting and the guy told me that that model and year did not come equipped with the TPMS system.

Is this right? How is the light on? Maybe the previous owner replaced the computer with another that had TPMS or something? Could they have swapped the cluster that has a TPMS light?

Not a big deal but I'd like to use the system if my truck has it. What are some steps I can follow to verify whether my truck has the system and if it does, how can I repair it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-18-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 3,002 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Your problem is that your truck doesn't have tpms. Tpms are on 2007+ trucks.

Someone probably swapped instrument clusters to one from a newer truck, hence the light on the dash. Does your cluster have a tach? Chances are the truck originally didn't have that option and a previous owner replaced.

Putting a small piece of tape over the light would be the easiest thing you could do. You can't take out the bulb because it's a soldered in led.

Next, you could get a cluster meant for an 04-06 truck. That cluster wouldn't have tpms.

Also how many miles are on the truck? Since the cluster swap is highly likely, the miles shown may not be anywhere near accurate.

Last edited by 2008__XL; 07-18-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, no tach. It's definitely a stx cluster but it does have low miles considering the year. I considered the cluster may have been swapped but everything inside and out is in great condition and it seems consistent with the low miles. Also the auto check paper work shows low miles too.

If the cluster was in fact swapped is there any way to find the true mileage?

It runs great but maybe I should resell it just incase?
Old 07-19-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 3,002 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Originally Posted by skorbz
Nope, no tach. It's definitely a stx cluster but it does have low miles considering the year. I considered the cluster may have been swapped but everything inside and out is in great condition and it seems consistent with the low miles. Also the auto check paper work shows low miles too.

If the cluster was in fact swapped is there any way to find the true mileage?

It runs great but maybe I should resell it just incase?
I wouldn't worry so much. I'd just put a piece of tape over the tpms light and drive it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS Issue - 2006 F150 STX