Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Torque setting for rear end bolts

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque setting for rear end bolts

I am going to change my rear pinnion seal, does anyone know the torque settings for the rear end bolts?
also, my parts dealer said I need an additive for the gear oil if I have POSI....I dont think I do...I suppose the best way to tell is by VIN?
thanks
2005 F150 4x4 4.6 liter
Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bolts?

As I recall the pinion yoke flange bolts are torqued around 70ft/lbs.

Pinion bearing preload running torque must be monitored in order to get the proper bearing clearance. Too little preload and the gear set will be noisy. Too much preload and the pinion bearings can go b'ye b'ye.

The rear brake drums/rotors must be removed to take brake loading off the axles in order to properly monitor the preload torque.

The following is for the 8.8" axle:

You will need a 0-50in/lb dial torque wrench in order to set the pinion bearing preload running torque when the new spacer and seal are installed. A new pinion nut is a good idea as well.

In order to do the job right and before removing the pinion shaft nut the initial running torque should be checked so that the preload setting can be re-established upon reassembly of the system. The initial running torque should be 8-14in/lbs. Make note of the value. A new crushable spacer between the pinion shaft bearings must be installed whenever the pinion shaft nut is removed.

(Be prepared to apply a lot of grunt during the following procedure.)

Install the new crushable spacer, new seal and pinion flange then tighten the pinion shaft nut until all bearing clearance is taken up. Then tighten the nut a little at a time while monitoring the running torque with the dial torque wrench until the initial running torque value is attained. If the initial running torque was less than 8in/lbs, set the torque to 8-14in/lbs and favor the high end of the range, say 10-12in/lbs.

Under no circumstances should the pinion shaft nut be backed off. To do so will require a new crushable spacer.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 03-27-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

I dont ever replace that seal... unless the rear end is leaking so much fluid its not drivable.... As soon as you take that nut off... that rear is is junk in my book......... Unless an drive line shop fixes it... To do it correctly it needs to be set up with a dial indicator..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque setting for rear end bolts