Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Too much oil

Hey everyone, this is my first post although I've been lurking for a few months. I bought my first ever truck a few months ago, a 2000 F150 5.4L V8. Well, anyways, I decided to do my first oil change today since I have no idea when it was last done before I bought it, and the oil looked a little dirty. Also, when I checked the dipstick, the stick was covered with oil WAY past the MAX marker. Manual shows oil capacity at 6 quarts, so thats what I purchased....

So I unscrew the oil pan drain plug and the oil comes out.....keeps coming....keeps coming..... 11 quarts! I had to scramble to not overflow the catch pan I was using, and had to find more containers to put the old oil into.

Am I missing something? I am new to performing my own maintenance on my vehicles, but I'm not an idiot. Seems like the truck runs better with 6 quarts in it also. Should I be concerned about any damage caused with that much extra oil? Any input would help. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not good fore them but if it was going to damage something it probably would of done it by now. i would keep an eye on the oil level and water because if it gets fuller the more you drive it,it could be water or gas getting in if its water that will get lower either one is very bad but hopefully they just over filled it.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was over filled prior to you changing the oil? If so i would definately keep an eye on your oil level and noticeable smoke coming from the exhaust. Im not talking the sometimes normal blue smoke that occurs on startup then disappears. Im talking consistant smoke. Overfilling by that much can blow out gaskets, rings and a numerous other things. Hopefully some idiot did a oil change prior to selling it and forgot to remove the old oil.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Watch the level closely. You have change the oil now and know where the 6 quart level is on the stick. Have the truck in the same place when checking it, driveway angle will affect the level, either higher or lower. If it gains oil, keep in mind what Daniel just said about the water level of the radiator. Coolant can enter the engine, its heavier than oil so will be at the bottom of the oil.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Holy Crap Batman! I always check the oil when I buy a vehicle... It tells you a lot about how the person treats their vehicle. I also check the mileage on the last oil change, etc..
Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice jhelrey, the newbie was asking for help not a slam.

Last edited by Good old Bill; 08-10-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

sweet!!!

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

I wasn't meaning to slam him at all.... O-Bill... Just surprised how much came out and offered up what I look for when I buy a vehicle. Also, keep an eye on your coolant level because if you have that much oil, you might be loosing a lot of coolant.

Quick Reply: Too much oil