Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Tire Tread Wear

Old 06-23-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Tread Wear

I would like your opinions on the following tire wear problem:

New Twin Axle Car Carrier - - all of the new tires are showing the same wear pattern - - classic under-inflation tire wear: wearing on the outside and inside tread areas and leaving the center section alone, but each tire was inflated to 50 psi (recommended max.). Inflation was checked constantly during the trip. Neither the tires nor the wheel bearings ever felt hot. The trailer was properly loaded/balanced and was within the manufacturer's weight limit (5000#) - - was towed by an E250 Ford Van at interstate speeds (65 mph) and showed this tire wear after its first 3,000 mile trip lasting 4 days.

There is no feathering, but when moving one's hand across the tread, there is a noticeable jump from the worn areas to the middle part of the tread. What I'm trying to say is that the tire doesn't feel like the tread is being scrubbed off

The suspension is tight and nothing looks bent or otherwise out-of-sorts. It pulls straight and acts normal in every other respect.

I'm clueless.....

worm
Old 06-23-2008, 08:26 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Are the tires trailer tires? You can't use regular car or truck tires on a trailer that carries a heavy load. They are designed differently.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Good point, Sean - the problem still has me stumped.

The trailer-tire thing kind-a makes sense - trailer tires are supposed to have stiffer sidewalls. Perhaps this was taken into account when spec'ing the 50psi max?????
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I just read through the post again and see that you said the trailer is new also so the tires should be trailer tires. Do you remember what the tires looked like at the start of the trip? I have bought tires for my trailer several times and I remember that they looked like they had underinflation wear even brand new. I also had several people say the same thing but that is the way they look brand new. The tread is thicker in the center, probably for the load rating, so you are probably mistaking wear for the normal look of the tire. If you don't think so look at the contact patch of the tire on the pavement. You can also look at another new tire and see what I mean. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I believe your concern is normal. Let me explain. As a twin axle makes turns the tires roll over causing severe side wear. One axle will turn as normal but the other skids around the turn sideways. If the tire was low enough on air pressure the tire will unseat itself. Have someone make a 90 degree turn and see for yourself.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the insight. I never thought about it, but what you're saying is absolutely true - - one axle rolling through the turn and the other being dragged through. Do you think that this would wear both axles evenly after enough miles ?

Thanks for responding.

worm
Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Am not an engineer, but my common sense tells me if both axles have an equal amont of weight with what we call center of gravity in Aircraft, being exactly between the axles, front axle will drag one way and the back axle will drag the other direction. This is very evident in twin axle boat trailers, boat ramps are usually very rough in surface for traction for the pull vehicle. All our tire rubber is on the ramp not on the highway getting there.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Bill,

Your 'common sense' makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

worm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Tread Wear