Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

tire cupping

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:57 PM
XL forever!

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Question tire cupping

Had my truck in today for an oil change. They told me that the rear tires(now the fronts as they were rotated) are showing signs of cupping. Looks to me that it's along the edges. The tire tread is still decent.
They are the original tires and now have 40,000 miles on them. I am planning on replacing them by the end of the year.
My question is what causes the cupping? Everything I've read states under inflation to bad suspension components can cause it. I keep my tires at the proper inflation and I here no weird noises or feel anything unusual in the suspension.
Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Quick Google search......

http://www.rnrwheels.com/scalloping-...for-tires-too/
Old 10-03-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine have cupped awfully. But it's because they were installed and balanced by Walmart. Every single one of the wheel weights had fallen off, and when a tire is out of balance and you drive on it steadily, it will cup pretty badly. Mine were $1000 all terrain tires which were already loud goin down the road. Now they are stupid loud and nearly bald in some spots. I guess they didnt install the weights properly because this never happened before with other tire installations.
The following users liked this post:
Blank102 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There are a number of reasons your tires can "cup". If they cup on the outside and they are on the fronts they might have been left on the front for too long or the alignment might be bad and is causing them to wear unevenly. If they are cup on the inside then that would again point to a poor alignment or something mechanically wrong with the suspension. You didn't mention what brand tires they are but typically 40k on factory tires is pretty good!! Replace with them a quality tire and you'll get another 40k or more out of the next set.

Tires usually do not (actually never) wear unevenly from a poor balance. Spanky, sounds like you got some aggressive mud tires and those are notorious for uneven tread wear. I have no doubt that Walmart did a bad job balancing them but a tire out of balance won't cause an aggressive all-terrain tire to wear unevenly. Bad shocks, bad alignment, missing tire rotations, poor rotation pattern (not crossing them) are probably the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Blank102 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:05 PM
XL forever!

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HacksawMark
So my problem is that my suspension is screwed up.
Thanks!
I'm glad that it isn't an actual problem with the tires!

Last edited by Blank102; 10-03-2016 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Bad typing

Quick Reply: tire cupping