Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Time to replace the shocks... Any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace the shocks... Any suggestions?

05 f150 4x4
Suspension is getting pretty soft and definitely not handling as well as it used to. I've been looking around and am thinking about the monroe shocks and struts. Anybody used the rear shocks with the coil spring? I get a lot of sag in the back end when I load my ATV or firewood and want to do something about that.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

No shock will help with the rear end sag. The shock mounts are not made to take any amount of weight.
You would need helper springs, or an air bag setup would be the best of both worlds between stock ride and added heft only when needed.

As far as the Monroe shocks, I have been running the Monroe Sensi-Tracs for awhile now. I like them alot. Great soft highway ride, but enough shock that the weight of the truck and tires are kept under control on back roads.
I'd buy them again.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback
05 f150 4x4
Suspension is getting pretty soft and definitely not handling as well as it used to. I've been looking around and am thinking about the monroe shocks and struts. Anybody used the rear shocks with the coil spring? I get a lot of sag in the back end when I load my ATV or firewood and want to do something about that.
I use the Munroe's w/springs, works great.
I had a cracked leaf,(30 bags of wet mulch) so I replaced the cracked leaf, and while I was at it i also added another leaf on each side along with the Munroe's.
Truck handles awsome, especially in the corners!

Last edited by sharptp; 12-22-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:38 PM
FORD=#1

i put some monroe sensatrack shocks on my 95 they are good all terrain shocks ive takin them off the road and they do pretty good so i would reccomend them for someone who does a little bit of every thing. As far as your sag thats pretty normal and that is why they make the suspension 2 inches higher in the back from the factory but the new shocks should help the sagging quite a bit.

Last edited by realtree4x4; 12-24-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:43 AM

Even just a year ago it didn't sag nearly as much as it does now. The shocks are def. worn out. On a good bump or dip I'll get that bounce going. Picked up the monroe struts and shocks with the springs Thurs. Hopefully I'll get them on sometime next week. Funny thing was that no matter where I looked, in stores or online, NAPA had the best prices.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 AM
eelslaker

Default Extra springs helped us.

My 1998 F150 xl pulls a trailer. In New Brunswick we were riding really low and had to replace the springs @ 230 000. A friendly mechanic whispered about keeping the springs and having Harold up the street install them also for $110. Greatest deal ever. The truck rode like a truck but the comfort came from knowing we were not going to bottom out on any road.

Only drawback was that the truck was at a dfferent height than before and this affected the hitch and hooking up as the alignment was off.

J.G. Toronto

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time to replace the shocks... Any suggestions?