Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Maintenance Shop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default TICK TICK TICK!!! 2006 f150 making ticking noises

I have a 2006 f150 that is making a ticking noise. It doesnt do it idling just or revving it up in neutral. Only when u put it in gear forward or reverse. The faster you go the faster the ticking gets. I had brand new exaust put on today and it still does it. Just noticed yesterday the 4wd isnt working. Just curious on what the problem is and if its maybe caused by the 4wd. Please give me some feedback. Thanks
fireman1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

I'd say its the 4 wheel.
Mine us the same, i gotta replace my actuator. But mine only does it when my 4x4 is engaged. Your doing all the time sounds like a vacuum line leak. Possibly something happened when you installed the exhaust maybe?

Just noticed you had the tick before the exhaust, but i still believe its in your vacuum lines

Last edited by ellis4pa; 10-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.
ellis4pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
joepa

My 06 scab is doing the same thing I think. Only when I'm moving does it sound like there are sticks in my wheels that are smacking around. Or like zip ties tied on the driveshaft hitting the frame. I noticed this the other day and this morning on the way to work there was no noise. And just as I was about to pull down my street I noticed it ever so slightly. The other day when I initially noticed it I remember pulling out of the driveway and hearing a little popping noise. I hope this is nothing extreme. Please help.
swim_fan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Check your vacuum lines, low vacuum will cause the actuators to start to engage. The longer you let it go the more they get chewed up and the more expensive it gets.
Vacuum lines and check valves are a couple bucks, a new actuator is about $100, and if it gets to bad a new hub assembly starts around $150 but a Motorcraft one is over $350.
Usually the actuator will destroy itself before the hub assembly but that isn't a guarantee.
ellis4pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM