Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Terrible Vent After Engine Smoke. What did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Terrible Vent After Engine Smoke. What did I do?

Hi there. New to the site and feeling my way around. I have a 97 F150 Lariat that still runs strong but has a new problem. The vent makes a horrible noise except on Panel or Floor, or Off. Any other setting (Panel AND Floor, Floor AND Defrost, etc) is noisy and noticeably drags on the engine. These same settings had been noisy for a while but never this bad. So bad can't even use it. Sounds like it might tear itself apart. Got this bad the other night after a bunch of smoke in the engine compartment smelled like burning brakes but was probably a motor I assume. Replaced the HVAC fan motor but no help. Fan still works on all speeds. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

May have a bad a/c clutch or compressor since the a/c cycles in defrost and I believe floor settings. If the a/c compressor is trying to lock up you could have smelled the serpentine belt.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR 56
May have a bad a/c clutch or compressor since the a/c cycles in defrost and I believe floor settings. If the a/c compressor is trying to lock up you could have smelled the serpentine belt.
This^
Old 05-09-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCR 56
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

Quick Reply: Terrible Vent After Engine Smoke. What did I do?