Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Synthetic vs Conventional

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic vs Conventional

Peeps,

I have 2006 F150 King Ranch, 5.4 L engine (35K miles). Does anyone one have an opinion on the benefits/disadvantages of going with synthetic oil in my truck? It'll be my first oil change since I've purchased it (I bought it with 32K miles on it)

Thx
Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 AM
zukes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since the truck is still new id look and see what ford says to put in it. since it has low miles on it id say go with synthetic, with newer vehicles, they are made to run with synthetic, unlike the older vehicles with ware and tear on them. so yea i would probly check and see what ford says for that truck, and stick with wat they say, they kinda know what there talking about when it comes to that stuff.

my personal opinion is non synthetic, probly just because none of my vehicles need synthetic
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i usally just go with OEM filter parts and ford recommendations for oil used. I know when my maintence warrenty ford used fully synthetic as part of maintence changes etc...
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 PM

thanks for your opinions. I appreciate it.

Alex24
Old 10-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Alex24
thanks for your opinions. I appreciate it.

Alex24
walmart has motorcraft syntetic for 12 $ 5 litters
Old 10-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wink

I've used Mobil 1 in my truck since the first oil change. I do if for two reasons, I tow a lot with it, and it sits idle the rest of the time in the garage. It has helped my gas mileage a bit, and I know the engine is being well protected. Also, it appears to help on the 5.4 engine noise that some people have noticed when the engine gets some miles on it.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fully synthetic oils like Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Red Line are designed to provide superoir lubrication without the breakdown associated with conventional oils. They also free-up horsepower by reducing friction better than any conventional oil. Better lubrication and less friction add up to improved gas mileage and longer engine life due to less wear. For years, Corvettes came with Mobil 1 from the factory. You won't have any warranty issues for going with synthetic, and there's no need to change viscosities...just go with what's recommended by Ford. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the factory put synthetic gear oil in the rear. Transmissions can also benefit from a switch to synthetic - just be sure to get what's compatible with yours.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a full synthetic has its advantages, but with a used motor I'd just continue using what has been in there up to this point.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
JD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think if you check you will find that the Motocraft is a "synthetic blend" and not total synthetic. Ford/Motorcraft offers a full synthetic but it is much more expensive. If you check the owners manual, I think you will find that Ford recommends their "synthetic blend" and full synthetic is only required for severe environments such as very very hot or very very cold climates.

Of course if you want to run full synthetic (any brand of your choice) you will be just fine but it is not required for the warranty. For normal service I don't think it is really required (I have a garage full of vehicles with over 200,000 miles without using synthetic to prove it) but each person should make their own decision. I will not argure that synthetic is the best available but at a higher cost.

The one situation where I think that the use of synthetic would be a benefit would be if you have a cooling system failure and the engine greatly overheated.

This is just my 2cents worth (worth less then a penny these days).
Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
wvbike_99

Default Depends on how long you keep truck?

This is my 1st post, I just sold a 2000 Tundra that had Mobile 1 from the 1st old change and it had 115,000 miles. I had planed on keeping this truck for ever but I got F 150 fever. Now I consider all the extra money I put into tha Toyota as a waste for me but a real bonus for the guy who bought it. How long are you going to keep your truck? Long time use Syn Oil if not just use a good name brand oil. I plan on using the Motorcraft blend in my new 150.
JMO

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs Conventional