Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

SYNC'ing with an Ipod Classic

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question SYNC'ing with an Ipod Classic

I have a 2013 F150 STX w/ the communications package; i.e. SYNC.

The SYNC system manages my phone fine, but has struggled with USB devices. One USB stick (worked fine in my 2010 Edge) would lock up the SYNC system in the truck. My Ipod (also works fine in the 2010 Edge) would hang up, pause, and then refuse voice commands.

The help line at Ford suggested an Ipod reset (unsuccessful) and a SYNC full reset (unsuccessful). The dealer suggested I unhook the battery for a 1/2 hour and re-set. This worked, but only for a week.

Has anyone else had a similar issue, and if so, how was it resolved?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:54 PM

The local dealership looked at my truck yesterday. They were able to duplicate my issues, but their test pieces (an IPOD Nano and some other USB item) worked fine. They contacted Ford directly and Ford Service has suggested that I drive it for 5 days or so using just my paired phone (an Iphone 5) for "Bluestream Audio". If that works okay, then try another USB device (like a thumb drive or my son's IPOD Touch). If that works okay, then try my IPOD Classic again.

Seems reasonable and I'll try, but the IPOD Classic in question works fine in my '10 Edge w/ SYNC.

I'll post what happens in the hope that it may help someone out there.

Best.

Last edited by Suburban Ford Owner; 01-09-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Are you leaving the USB device plugged in all of the time, or removing it when you leave the vehicle? I've had a lot of trouble in my '11 with the system no longer recognizing the device or locking up sync all together if I leave the USB device plugged in when the vehicle is not running. So basically anytime I shut off the truck for any extended period of time, I make sure to unplug the USB device.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, the Raptor with MFT didn't like the iPod Classic and I had to stop using it in the truck.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 PM

Benchwarmer and Raptor,

Thanks for the comments; the IPod was left hooked up. I'll keep your experiences in mind when I get back to USB. I'm still using the IPhone for Bluetooth audio, as requested by Ford. So far, it seems to me that SYNC works best if you let the truck a little while before you ask it to do something, maybe it's slower to boot up than it appears to be.

Otherwise loving the truck!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Yeah, just unplug it every time and as you said...wait a couple minutes before plugging it in. I've had no issues since I started using USB that way.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:01 PM

Question

Update for anyone following this thread:
Just before I added the USB back into the mix, the SYNC system quit recognizing my Iphone phonebook; said it wasn't available. I tried master resets, forced Iphone phonebook downloads, nothing. When frustration peaked, I pulled the negative terminal and let it sit.

After that, everything was fine - IPhone, Ipod, USB flashdrive; voice commands, switching, great.

1 week later the truck decides to shut it's bluetooth down on a start up. No phone, but everything else works. After restart, the phone comes back, but voice commands don't work and the phonebook is not accessible.

I called my dealer, set an appointment (for yesterday the 21st) and two days before the appt, everything started working again. Cancelled the appointment. Last night, the truck shut down bluetooth again. Tired to force it to turn back on and pair with the phone, no progress. Re-connected at the next start up.

USB devices are unplugged at every key off.

Looks like its back to the service bay
Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble...hopefully the shop can get it fixed up for you.

Quick Reply: SYNC'ing with an Ipod Classic