Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

sudden loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:20 PM
BODACIOUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sudden loss of power

vehicle is a 1998 4x4 with the 4.6l drove truck this morning and everything was fine got in it this afternoon to drive to work and noticed a substantial loss of power (it shifts to passing gear everytime the wind blows) any advice would be appreciated i have already checked all the basics its not missing starts and idles fine and accepts throttle like it should no codes have been thrown etc so here i am
Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Hmm, not a lot to go on here - but that's never stopped me before :-)~

Did you actually pull the codes, or just look for the 'check engine' lamp?
How's your tranny fluid level?
Was thinking about a plugged cat - but that should be more of a gradual change - not the day-and-night difference you describe.
Air filter in good shape - no intake restrictions?
Confident in good fuel - no E85 by accident, or fuel from a station you normally don't use?
No potato up the tailpipe? Yeah, it's a reach, but if one can't figure out what it is, start eliminating the things it's not.
Confident the brakes aren't dragging - including the parking brake?

Would be interested to know what it turns out to be - keep us posted on what you find!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:38 PM
BODACIOUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i intended on checkin the cat tonight on way home cause they tend to glow when the get stopped up to the point this would have to be in i buy fuel at the same place and always put the same additive in it i keep all filters and everything in check so that rules out that i brakes arent dragging and tranny fluid is within limits and clean as can be so im still frawing a blank thanks for your input if you can think of anything else let me know thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenyearf-150
i intended on checkin the cat tonight on way home cause they tend to glow when the get stopped up to the point this would have to be in i buy fuel at the same place and always put the same additive in it i keep all filters and everything in check so that rules out that i brakes arent dragging and tranny fluid is within limits and clean as can be so im still frawing a blank thanks for your input if you can think of anything else let me know thanks

Any resolution to your issues??

Quick Reply: sudden loss of power