Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Stumped..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Go Fast or Go Home

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stumped..

Truck is a 97 F150 with a 4.2. It's a work truck so no fancy mods just stock.

It started with the truck running like crap, stalling out, and cracking spark plugs. Replaced the fuel filter in hopes that was the reason it was running rough. No luck. Truck up and quit on me about 5 months ago. Thought the fuel pump took a crap, so replaced it - truck still wouldnt start. Threw some stuff around and kicked it a few times before i finally thought to check fuses. My 30amp PCM fuse was blown. Replaced it and truck started right up. Truck ran for about 15 minutes and drove 5 ft before it died and blew the fuse again. After that, every 30amp I put in kept blowing.

Did some research on the problem and came to the conclusion it was most likely an electrical short. Found some burned and melted wires off the starter that sat on my manifold for too long so I replaced with new wires about 2 months ago. Truck started again and this time no blown fuses. Let it run for about 30 minutes and it was purring like a kitten. Shut it off and started about a dozen times and it stopped running. Had the starter tested a couple days ago and the solenoid was bad – replaced it. Ran like a champ again.. Went to take for a test drive after putting wheel back together and now the truck will not shift into gear. Doesn’t even sound like the clutch cable is hooked up. No response what-so-ever. It would go in park, and neutral, but no reverse, drive, 1 or 2. Truck was already running hot, so added some Lucas to relubricate the trans- in hopes it seized form sitting outside too long. Ran her a little too hard, but got some axle response from her a few times.. Also in this process, discovered my brake lights weren’t responding.

Where I currently stand is the truck seems like its now stuck in Drive. Any gear (except park) I put it in, it lurches forward – even reverse. Forward clutch plates appear to be fused together.. Motors running more rough than ever and now outputting blue smoke.

It’s one thing after another. Fix one thing, another comes up.. There’s gotta be an underlying cause that started this whole downfall. Could it be the PCM? I’m looking for anything at this point. Beyond frustrated.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Squishy Heads

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a guide rod on your trans is jacked up. That happened to my old ranger transmission (it's basically the same trans). Had to drop it pull the top cover off and fix a rod that came loose and was binding up 5th gear.

Quick Reply: Stumped..