Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Stuck lug nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck lug nuts...

Approximately 6 moths ago, I got two new tires for my 2010 F150. I ordered them through an auto shop near where I live...partly because I hate going to the actual tire dealer in my town, and partly because they could get me the tires at dang near the online price and I'd rather give the money to a local business. They are not a TIRE shop, but they do quite a bit of tire work.

They put the two new tires on the front, because they were worn the worst...and left the other two on the rear. I was very happy with the service there (just a small town shop). I drove the 20 miles home, went to work the next day (couple of miles), then when returning home I got out the tire wrench and made sure the nuts were still tight (gave them a good crank, and they did not move...good).

Well, a few days ago, I had them order two more identical tires to replace the old rear ones. Took the truck to the shop today, handed over the keys, and sat in the waiting area. The manager (or co-owner/co-manager...not exactly sure) came to me after about 15 minutes and told me that the front lug nuts will NOT come off, but the mechanic was going to keep trying (they were going to rotate them and put the new ones on the front). After about another 20 minutes he came to me and said that the mechanic tried everything he could think of, but every nut wouldn't budge. He said they also tried a larger impact driver that they use on big trucks, and it would not work.

I said "The last time the front wheels were off was when I got those tires put on here."
He says "Ok, so they've been on there quite a while."

I thought "6 months is quite a while for lug nuts to be on a stud?

I said, "Do you think they were just overtightened and then seized?"
He says, "Yeah, probably. We have never seen this before. You know, sometimes one or two are stubborn, but this is all of them"

Anyways, he says they are going to have to torch them off, and then replace the nuts and the studs. He does not have them in stock, and is going to order them. I asked him how much this would cost, and he said it would take the mechanic about an hour hopefully, and that it would be near 200 dollars.

I was immediately upset.

I left there without getting the new tires on (should have just told him to put them on the rear, and don't worry about the rotation right now...the others are just a few months old...but I was upset and didn't).

SOOOO...here's the question...

Would I be out of line for asking them to pay for the new studs and nuts and labor? It just seems like I will be out $200 for something that I had no control of.

I am looking or answers from people that run auto shops, here. Is it possible that it wasn't their fault? The nuts were NOT over tightened, and just seized that hard on their own?

Sorry for the length guys...but (as with MANY other people in this country) I really don't have the $200 to spend right now, and am kind of angry at the whole situation.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

The way I see it is they installed them with an Impact gun and did not torque them properly... they should fix it...but they may not...if they don’t I would not use them anymore ...that’s for sure. Good luck
Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Already answered here: https://www.f150forum.com/f2/stuck-lug-nuts-281698/

Quick Reply: Stuck lug nuts...