Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Strange Ticking sounds coming from my rear end (2003 f150 super crew cab)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Ticking sounds coming from my rear end (2003 f150 super crew cab)

Hi everyone, I have a 2003 F150 that I've had since brand new and its starting to make some strange ticking sounds. I think it might be the Ujoint or possibly the rear diff. I changed the fluid and there wasnt anything visible in the diff itself and there wasnt even any shavings in there. It was shockingly clean. I usually change the fluid pretty often though.

So heres the deal when i'm driving under say 15 mph i have a tick tick tick tick sound and some times it makes a clachunk clachunk sound when i turn in say a parking garage now these arent super loud sounds... i will try and get a recording, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what that might be?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you're about to lose a U-joint. If you can get the truck on level ground or jack it up, you will probably find a lot of slop in the U-joint. From the sound of it, you have already lost some of the little bearings that are in the cups. You are getting close to having the driveshaft fall off of the truck so I would inspect this ASAP. Just twist on the shaft and look for play at the joint.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper
Sounds like you're about to lose a U-joint. If you can get the truck on level ground or jack it up, you will probably find a lot of slop in the U-joint. From the sound of it, you have already lost some of the little bearings that are in the cups. You are getting close to having the driveshaft fall off of the truck so I would inspect this ASAP. Just twist on the shaft and look for play at the joint.
Thats what i thought, but there really isnt any play in the drive shaft. The u joint was the first thing i was thinking to be honest... I will crawl up under there again and take another look, but I really think it may be something else.

I will post up the results.
Thanks!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I had this strange phenomenon myself. Replaced rear u-joint and didnt' fix. Check your Emergency brake shoes. My ebrake shoes and completely come off steel backing and was actually hitting inside the disc. I would almost bet thats what it is! Had them replaced for $125 at local Ford dealer. Mine made the same exacty noise. Did it mostly when turning.

Last edited by sbronemann; 12-05-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Any update on this? Mine does the same thing. I changed the u-joint (which turned out to be bad) and it is still happening. I am going to check out the diff as well but I think that is the problem is another issue.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably already fixed it by now, but i just had the same problem and ripped the rotors off to see if it was the e-brake pads and sure enough, two pads fell right out of the rotor onto the ground. Mine is a 2004 new bodystyle, you woulda thought they would of fixed that issue in the remodel...

Quick Reply: Strange Ticking sounds coming from my rear end (2003 f150 super crew cab)