Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Strange grind when driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange grind when driving

So, about a week and a half ago while making a short trip to the gas station I noticed a weird grind that lasted for a split second, every few seconds, once I hit around 15mph coming from the front driver tire.
This went away once I got back home (maybe 1 mile in total), and for the past week nothing.

On my way to work this morning I started hearing the strange grind while driving down the road, so I pulled into the next parking lot and began looking to see if I could spot anything caught, wrong, or anything that wasn't normal.
I didn't see anything, checked both sides of the calipers, ensured there was no rocks stuck where they shouldn't be and kept on.
I'm not sure about wheel bearings, I've only dealt with them once and it sounded nothing like a grind.

The truck is a 2006 f150 king ranch 4x4, 5.4L, 187k on the dash.
Any help would be great, as this is my daily driver, and I put over 100miles on it a day driving to and from work.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I wouldn't rule out a rock stuck near the rotor. The heat shield can conceal a small stone and isn't where you can see it. Pull the wheels, place a towel under the brakes and flex the heat shields. Even a pebble , 3/8" can cause your issue. Use a long coat hanger to fish around the caliper and shield and watch for something to drop. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Strange grind when driving