Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Still got issues after numerous fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still got issues after numerous fixes

07 F150 5.4 I've replaced the cam phasers, tensioners, guides, chains, motor mounts, coils, plugs, driver side VCT solenoid/valve and did the foam fix around the air intake. When I took off the timing and valve covers, I had no engine sludge issues, no metal in the oil. Timing appears to still be on but I'd have to take the timing cover off completely to verify the crank sprocket is at 6.
After the truck warms up if I give it a little gas at low RPM (900-100) and then let off the truck will go to the diesel sound clanking again until I give it a little gas to clear it out. The timing is on. I rotated that crank pulley 80+ times to watch those chains line up exact again. I wasn't taking any chance.
When replacing the timing components I found the left side (DS) guide broken at the top -Pic Attached- and the bottom screw had vibrated loose as far as the timing cover would let it go - Pic Attached. It actually stripped the first 3-4 threads in the hole and I had to re-tap it.
At first start up it was fine when I changed everything until it warmed up. This morning the check engine light came on for P0022. It rear 9.0 ohms, the right side was 11.2. I replaced the drivers side anyways. When I pulled it out...I found the screens and plastic rings were gone on 2 parts of the solenoid where oil flows. Where did these go? I didn't see them down the hole. NO change they could have slide down. Did they go into the cam phaser hole and clog it? The new Dorman one is metal all around with no plastic. -Pic Attached
However this did not fix it. I just started it back up and the same sh-it happens at low rpm in drive or reverse only. If I put it in park it continues to do it. Once I give it a little gas...she settles down.
So it could be oil pressure, timing, not enough oil getting to the back cylinders on the drivers side, these screens clogging something, the chain guide broken piece clogging something somewhere or some uknown other mechanical issue. Have I got that right?
Anyone have any other advice that would be cheaper than to continue replacing things...although everything I've replaced was bad and a contributing factor in some way.
Attached Thumbnails Still got issues after numerous fixes-img_20140302_154509_007.jpg   Still got issues after numerous fixes-img_20140302_154650_731.jpg   Still got issues after numerous fixes-img_20140308_153049_339.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hate to tell ya this but I had the same exact thing go wrong with my 07 and did all the fixes you just explained and it got to the point where i would have to hold the rpms up while waiting at a stop light in order to keep it running. In the end it was a new/used motor that I had to get put in. Low to no oil pressure in the top end of the motor. What kind of oil filters have you used on it? Any thing other than a wix or motorcraft will f the motor by not holding oil up top with the anti drain back valve and possible the filter media came out of the filter (if it was a fram or other cheap ones) and clogged your oil ports.

Quick Reply: Still got issues after numerous fixes