Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Steering wheel feels tight while making turns

Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel feels tight while making turns

I have a 2005 Ford F150 STX 4.6 liter with a 105,000 miles on it. Earlier this week I noticed that While turning it felt harder than normal to turn the wheel. I asked a few friends I work with about it and I check the steering shaft and there was absolutely no play involved with that shaft whatsoever. It was rusted as hell so I greased it up real well but doesn't seem to be the problem. I've got plenty of power steering fluid. Another person had mention it's probably the steering rack which I have no idea anything about. Is there a simple way to check a few different things before I bring it in to a shop and have to spend some money.

thank you
Bruce
Old 01-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Disconnect the shaft and check the left/right/up/down movement of the u-joint, it should flop around freely, if not replace the shaft.

P.S. Make sure your steering wheel is locked or use the seat belt to keep it from turning while the shaft is disconnected, if not you risk damaging the clock spring.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

"Greasing" the shaft will not eliminate the issue, if it is the shaft.

You must first use a penetrating fluid to break the rust free that is causing the problem. My go to is PB Blaster, use your preferred but make sure it is a penetrating fluid that breaks rust free. Spray the joints while someone works the wheel back and forth until it loosens up. Once you have it moving again spray with a lubricant that is water repellant. My go to is Fluid Film, FWIW it also acts well as a penetrating fluid in a pinch, is water repellant and safe for wiring and rubber as it is not solvent based.

This is assuming it is the shaft, but that is a common problem. As RNLcomp noted you can replace the shaft but this is a cheap and quick fix. Most consider it temporary but I did mine on my 2004 a couple years ago and have not had to touch it since.

Search this Thread