Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Steering column gear selector stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column gear selector stuck

Hello, I have a 97 f150 4x4. The gear selector will not move after I start the truck. I have to put it in neutral, start it and then shift to D,R, etc. If I put it in park at any time I have to restart in neutral again. Also, the headlights sometimes won't go on unless I wiggle the combination lever for wipers, turn signal, brights. Lastly, the safety locks don't work, they're supposed to lock when the truck is put in gear or moves but they don't. I don't really mind this but it could be related to the other problems. I had a similar problem with the locks a few years ago and discovered a recall from Ford for a door sensor that also affected the courtesy lights and had it fixed for free.
I'm thinking I need to replace the combination lever first of all but I don't see how that could affect the gear selector or the door locks. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about the problem(s) I would appreciate your input.
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot, I also have a question that i posted in the model specific area about my suspension. Please look and advise if you have any ideas.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Steering column gear selector stuck