Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

2004 f150 5.4l v8- starting having an issue with my truck not starting. I'll put the key in and go to crank it and get 1 click. Not real sure if it's under the hood or in the cab. I have lights, radio, etc. I can put jumper cables on it and it will fire right up. Thinking it may be a relay or the solenoid. Any thoughts or things I can try to help narrow down what could cause this? It only does it once every couple of weeks. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dmummy
2004 f150 5.4l v8- starting having an issue with my truck not starting. I'll put the key in and go to crank it and get 1 click. Not real sure if it's under the hood or in the cab. I have lights, radio, etc. I can put jumper cables on it and it will fire right up. Thinking it may be a relay or the solenoid. Any thoughts or things I can try to help narrow down what could cause this? It only does it once every couple of weeks. Thanks!
I had the same scenario on my 2000. It was the relay on the firewall.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tundra Dweller
I had the same scenario on my 2000. It was the relay on the firewall.

Tundra - you talking bout that big box on passenger side of thu firewall that got a ****load of wires commin out of it? On a Ford I didn't think that was a relay.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can jump start with no problem and it only does it intermittently then it sounds like loose or dirty battery connections. Go to the parts store and get a battery terminal brush and clean up the posts and connectors. Tighten them down good. Wear gloves, they are led.
The following users liked this post:
lindale (04-23-2022)
Old 09-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Mark

Received 2,412 Likes on 2,113 Posts

^^^this^^^
The following users liked this post:
STSCDave (09-08-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose or Dirty Battery Cables can absolutely be to blame...but

Originally Posted by STSCDave
If you can jump start with no problem and it only does it intermittently then it sounds like loose or dirty battery connections. Go to the parts store and get a battery terminal brush and clean up the posts and connectors. Tighten them down good. Wear gloves, they are led.
I have been there. Its amazing how a clamp around a post that feels tight can not be connected well and can stop the flow of power............

...but if the battery is more than 3-4 years old replace it NOW and then clean the cables.. or at least have it tested to make sure its not weak.

While batteries have jumped up in price in the past few years, it sure beats getting stranded and needing a jump start. With the winter coming a weak battery WILL FAIL so do it now and save the time and hassle.

Last edited by machviii; 10-10-2015 at 11:52 PM. Reason: wanted to add the option for having the battery tested before replacement.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:03 PM

Default electrical issues continue, about to drive me crazy

I have a 04 Lariat 4x4 (new body style). Nothing aftermarket except for Edge Evo programmer. I have spoke with several "experts" on my issues, but nobody can give me a correct answer.
Truck will randomly die (battery) within a 5-8 hour period. Mostly overnight. When I say dead, I mean so dead that the door wont even unlock with the key fob. The battery is brand new and checked out good. Even more strange is that once the battery is charged, it may start perfectly fine for months. Or it may be completely drained again within 5-8 hours. No fuses are blown, and when charged everything works perfectly fine. I have no idea what the problem is or could be. Apparently, no one else does either. I am almost to the point of selling this truck due to this issue. I love the truck when it is working correctly, but an undependable vehicle is useless. Please someone help me. This is driving me crazy
Old 04-23-2016, 11:26 PM

Default Start problems

I am also having the exact same problems as ktumlin. I have a new alternator and my battery tests out real good. I carry a battery booster with me cause i never know when its going to happen. It seems like it happens more often if i o short little drives an restart it four or five times in a short period of time. Mine is an XLT Triton engine 2004. It is becoming very frustrating. Sure could use some help.

Last edited by 2004fordboy; 04-23-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2004fordboy
I am also having the exact same problems as ktumlin. I have a new alternator and my battery tests out real good. I carry a battery booster with me cause i never know when its going to happen. It seems like it happens more often if i o short little drives an restart it four or five times in a short period of time. Mine is an XLT Triton engine 2004. It is becoming very frustrating. Sure could use some help.
Sorry for the late reply, but I cleaned my terminals and tightened them down real good and haven't had an issue since. Good luck to you, might want to start a new thread so more people see it and might be able to help you.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ktumlin
I have a 04 Lariat 4x4 (new body style). Nothing aftermarket except for Edge Evo programmer. I have spoke with several "experts" on my issues, but nobody can give me a correct answer.
Truck will randomly die (battery) within a 5-8 hour period. Mostly overnight. When I say dead, I mean so dead that the door wont even unlock with the key fob. The battery is brand new and checked out good. Even more strange is that once the battery is charged, it may start perfectly fine for months. Or it may be completely drained again within 5-8 hours. No fuses are blown, and when charged everything works perfectly fine. I have no idea what the problem is or could be. Apparently, no one else does either. I am almost to the point of selling this truck due to this issue. I love the truck when it is working correctly, but an undependable vehicle is useless. Please someone help me. This is driving me crazy
I had same exact truck same issue turns out the truck wasn't reading that it was in park properly and the computer wouldn't go to sleep mode because of it it needed to be recalibrated and now it works fine took about two hours of labour at the dealership

Quick Reply: Starting issues