Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Starting Issue 1999 F150 4.2L

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issue 1999 F150 4.2L

Today when I left for work I tried to start my truck and a horrendous mechanical squealing sound happened. I couldn't tell if the engine turned over or not because the noise was too loud. All electrical worked i.e. cab lights, gauges, radio. I sat for a second and tried again and the same thing happened.

I disconnected by negative battery terminal and reconnected it and the truck started fine.

There is corrosion on the battery cable connectors and I will replace those. But could that cause my truck not to start and make that noise?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking around on the internet...I can't really find anything that resembles what happened. Could it just be a one time thing? Everyone says if the starter isn't getting enough voltage then you'll hear sounds but they will be clicking noises. This doesn't sound anything like clicking. And why would it start after disconnecting the battery cable if it was the starter itself? Could it just be the connectors? They are really corroded and there is some wiggle room where the cable goes into the connector.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Maybe the serpentine belt slipping initially and the battery issue just coincidence

Quick Reply: Starting Issue 1999 F150 4.2L