Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Starter is starting to choke up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter is starting to choke up.

How difficult is it to replace starter? It hasnt completly gone, but it makes a nasty noise on a cold start every once in a while. I am sure its the starter going out. How much would a mechanic charge (ballpark)?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No it is not hard to change out a starter. Get yourself a manual that covers the procedure. By changing it out yourself you can save a substantial amount of money.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Cool.

Your avatar is bad ***. Do you shop at Oat *******? If not, you should.. Do you want to change my starter?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah you recognize where my Avatar and motto came from. Oat Willie, the fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Wonder Warthog, Dr. Atomic, Fat Freddie's Cat, the Checkered Demon, Country Cow Freak. etc. Those where the days. Country Cow Freak used to work on my VW buses but his total organic hash oil and avocado grease lube jobs were too hard on my engines, and king pins. One thing about it the smoke that came out of the exhaust on those Buses sure made people following me drive funny

As for the Starter.......You are on your own

Since you know about these underground comic characters you might enjoy this;
http://www.lastgasp.com/

You know something it would be really clever to have a nice graphic of Oat Willie on my the 95 F150 I purchased a couple of weeks ago. hmmmmmm

For the rest of you out there here is Oat Willie. Yes he is strange but Gilbert Shelton the cartoonist was probably in an pharmaceutically enhanced mode at the time.

Last edited by transmaster; 02-09-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
that's gonna leave a mark

keep in mind that although it isn't very common, there might be some teeth missing on the flywheel/flexplate. Changing a starter is a very easy procedure, take his advice, buy a manual, they are very, very handy and then change the starter yourself.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Former F-150 driver

Hmmm, mine actually does the same thing every once in a while. When I had my Ranger I bought a Haynes manual & referred to it as my Ranger Bible. Ain't got one for the 150 yet, but I really haven't needed one. Plannin on gettin one & a new starter probably soon though.

Quick Reply: Starter is starting to choke up.