Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

starter/relay on firewall

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default starter/relay on firewall

I've searched and am confused. 98 4.6 4x4 5spd

I just bought a new battery after failing load test on the old. 3 days later the truck wont start. I hear a click from firewall assuming relay.
If it clicks is it bad or good?

Further more does anyone have a pic of location of the thing on a 98 4.6? If so please post.

The lights don't dim out when attempting to crank. All power accesories work. I can roll off in 2nd to start and sometimes if I flick the key back and forth enough friggin times it will fire. Connections to the starter are in tact, not corroded. HELP ME PLEASE. Starter or the relay?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first things first, double check that your battery conections are clean and tight, and that all the cables to you starter, are in good condition. The starter moter draws a lot of amperage needs perfect conections.

your ignition is probably ok as it is clicking,

The fire wall relay is on the pasenger side of the fire wall, you can follow the battery cables right to it, it will have three wires coming out if it. You can bypass the ignition and firewall sollinoid by bridging the two lower conections, and this will cause the starter moter to turn.

- if the starter motor turns, either the fire wall solinoid is bad, or your brake switch is gone...also check the shifter position sensor, and all related wiring

- if it dosnt turn either the starter motor is gone or it has a bad connetion some where, or the battery is bad......you wouldnt be the first person to buy a new battery thats a dud.

---
I just went through all this not even two days ago, spent 2 hours under my truck in the snow to get the thing running. wound up being nothing but broken ring terminal on the positive starter moter cable.

Last edited by outsidemike; 10-13-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Quick Reply: starter/relay on firewall