Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Squeal from 1 of 2 places

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 PM
aceyacem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal from 1 of 2 places

This is a '97 F-150...it has a brand new water pump, serpentine belt & serpentine pulley. I replaced the pulley thinking that would stop the endless, annoying squeak. It did not. It almost sounds like bearings grinding around along with the squeal. Could it only be one of 2 other things...the AC compressor pulley, or maybe the power steering pulley?
I have my a.c disconnected since it never worked anyway...can you buy just the pulley instead of replacing the whole compressor?
What's more commomn to go bad, the power steering pulley bearings, or the a.c pulley bearinngs? Thanks y'all!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Is this squeal constant or is it chirping? If so remove belt completely and run engine to verify noise, wifes 96 302, the cam syncroniser is making the noise. Can be verified with a stethoscope or probe touching syncroniser. Engine can be run 2-3 minutes with out belt driving water pump with no problem. I removed sensor from base and flooded with WD-40, temp repair but still holding.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM
aceyacem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's constant. Update: I took it to have tailpipe worked on & the guy said it's the ALTERNATOR. The alternator works fine though. He said he took the belt off & the alternator was really hard to turn. It'd stink if I had to spend all that on a new alternator just to keep it quiet. p.s...it's a '92 (I put a 97 by accident), also sorry for late reply. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well I guess after 3 months, its not going to be a breakdown any time soon. Not knowing tools available or you confidence it undertaking the issue at hand, but bearings and new brushes wouldn't be that hard or expensive.

Quick Reply: Squeal from 1 of 2 places