Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Spark plugs, which and how to

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plugs, which and how to

Having changed countless spark plugs in my time I do know how to do it I'm just looking for a little advice on changing these ones.
I have a 302 in my truck and the plugs are easily accessible, but I am sure they are old and probably rusted in there. Suggestions? Warm, cold? Spray some lube a day before etc etc. Just dont want to break any of them.
Also an suggestions as what to use? OEM Bosch or something better?Any wires you can suggest? Better distributor cap?
Please give some feedback. The truck has a slight miss to it so I want to change the plugs, wires, and cap.......prob hasnt been done in several years.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Tire Monger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start by using an air hose and spraying the area around the plugs to get rid of any debris. Next would be some penetrating oil (use the little straw) at the base of the plugs on a warm engine. I just sold my 95 f150 with 451xxx miles on it so I changed a few sets of plugs in it's lifetime. Buy a new spark plug socket if yours is old as some of mine. Use little or no extension. A flex-head ratchet works well. I often use a Snap-on impact socket with built in ball swivel and a 30" extension for the plugs you need to access through the wheel well. Work on it while it is still warm, but not hot. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by wheel guy
I would start by using an air hose and spraying the area around the plugs to get rid of any debris. Next would be some penetrating oil (use the little straw) at the base of the plugs on a warm engine. I just sold my 95 f150 with 451xxx miles on it so I changed a few sets of plugs in it's lifetime. Buy a new spark plug socket if yours is old as some of mine. Use little or no extension. A flex-head ratchet works well. I often use a Snap-on impact socket with built in ball swivel and a 30" extension for the plugs you need to access through the wheel well. Work on it while it is still warm, but not hot. Good luck.
Any suggestions for plug wire and cap brands?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Tire Monger

Seems you get what you pay for on plug wires, caps and rotors. Only stuff I have been unhappy with is when I bought what was cheapest at Autozone. Motorcraft cap and rotor from a dealership parts dept are often priced well and plenty high quality.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 PM

I get a discount at Marshlands here in Moncton, and they were pricing me bosch plugs and wires and a cap I've never heard of, so maybe I'll hit up the dealer for that.
Also have some Super Solv here. do u think that would be good for the plugs, say give it a quick spray in the morning, let it sit for a bit, then warm up and pull the plugs in the afternoon.
Lastly the only plug sockets I have is the ones that came with the cheap tool kits I've bought over the years, thinkin maybe I should pick up a decent one?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
BLS

Originally Posted by *91f150*
I get a discount at Marshlands here in Moncton, and they were pricing me bosch plugs and wires and a cap I've never heard of, so maybe I'll hit up the dealer for that.
Also have some Super Solv here. do u think that would be good for the plugs, say give it a quick spray in the morning, let it sit for a bit, then warm up and pull the plugs in the afternoon.
Lastly the only plug sockets I have is the ones that came with the cheap tool kits I've bought over the years, thinkin maybe I should pick up a decent one?
Yeah, warm might be a little better and WD-40 is probably good enough if they're stuck. Cap, rotor and wires, you get what you pay for. Most any parts store will have decent stuff. IMHO, stock Motorcraft/Autolite is the best. NAPA has good stuff too. MSD, Mallory, Accell, etc. Better caps and rotors usually have the copper electrodes in them. Wires... 8mm or better is probably OK but I'd stay with the name brand stuff (Autolite, Accell, MSD, etc.) to be sure. Oh, spark plugs. You can spend a lot more $ for copper, platinum, Iridium, Splitfire, or other kinds of plugs (FYI-I think Bosch sucks) but... the truth is they don't run any better. Not a bit. Platinum's and the like will last longer but not run better. Think of it like this. The plugs either light the fire or they don't. There's really no in between. So then the question is about how often you want to change them. Once a year or maybe every 3-5. (remember, platinum and iridium just last longer) Up to you there. Last but not least, tools either work or they don't. If it breaks, get a new one. Good Luck!

Last edited by BLS; 01-01-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Champions...UGH

BLS is down on Bosch, I haven't had much experience with them but can say that, IMHO, Champions Suck! Got burned years ago and will never use them again!
Never a problem with Motorcraft/Autolite or AC.
As for tools, a spark plug socket with foam insert is a worthwhile investment.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
BLS

IMHO, Champions Suck! Got burned years ago and will never use them again!

As for tools, a spark plug socket with foam insert is a worthwhile investment.[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha, ha... that's why I don't like Bosch. I got burned on them once. Brand new plugs and the car wouldn't even start. Agree with you on the foam insert. Well worth it.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Cool, thanks for the info people.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM

always use ford plugs. period.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs, which and how to