Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Spark plug gunk and more!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug gunk and more!

I was just attempting to change the spark plugs in my 2008 F150 with the 4.6L when I hit some snags. Some background... the truck is from Canada so it has a lot of rust underneath of it and in the engine bay. Everything came apart pretty easy though.

Let me know your thoughts on the build up and other issues.

Looking at the front of the truck:

Front right plug.... pull the boot and plug and everything looks normal.

Second plug on the right.... All around where the spark plug boot meets the engine is a bunch of dirt,crap, rust pieces, or who knows what. I shopvac most of it up and pull the boot, insert the wrench and turn away.... wont grab the plug. Look down in the hole and it almost looks like there is no hex part of the plug. Like dirt had built up and was solid enough I couldnt break it up (I didnt try extremely hard though). So I didnt get the plug changed.

Third plug on the right.... same build up at the top so I vac it up. Pull the boot and its very dirty and moist, smells like coolant. Look down the hole and there is all kinds of "build up" down in there. I didnt even try to pull the plug, just put the boot back on.

Farthest back plug on the right.... I cant even get the boot off because the fuel rail.

I didnt even attempt the left side.

Put everything back together and started it and its running like it did before I attempted this, which seems to be normal. So I successfully changed 1 plug on this thing.

Quick Reply: Spark plug gunk and more!