Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Something silly I know is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something silly I know is wrong

We just bought our 2000 F150 with the 5.4L and it's been running great for the last 3 days we've had it. Last night the gf went to the truck after work, tried to start it and it wont crank over. No starter engagement at all. Just the sound of the fuel pump coming on. My old Bronco I can cross the posts on the solenoid and engage the starter that way. Can I do that on this w/o fouling something up in the computer?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm hated

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douge27
We just bought our 2000 F150 with the 5.4L and it's been running great for the last 3 days we've had it. Last night the gf went to the truck after work, tried to start it and it wont crank over. No starter engagement at all. Just the sound of the fuel pump coming on. My old Bronco I can cross the posts on the solenoid and engage the starter that way. Can I do that on this w/o fouling something up in the computer?
Yes it should work on all vehicles. BTW I had to replace my main power wire that runs to the starter 3 times in 8 years! The wire runs behind the passenger side front wheel well and down onto the frame. If you can get under there and hold the wire onto the post/terminal and get someone else to turn it over it will start, just dont shut it off! At least you can go get the parts you need etc to fix! Also, after the third time, I added shrink tubing to my starter wires....hasn't happened since! Good luck
Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Thank you Blue. I will work up something for that. I thought this rig was too good to be true.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've got power to the fuel pump, that power wire to the starter is fine. If that wire goes, you lose all power. Learned this when the manifold on my Cheby burned through it.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:23 AM

So I crossed the posts on the solenoid and it started right up. Thank goodness. Now I can sell this thing. Bought a heavy duty solenoid to replace.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm hated

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douge27
So I crossed the posts on the solenoid and it started right up. Thank goodness. Now I can sell this thing. Bought a heavy duty solenoid to replace.
Nice

Quick Reply: Something silly I know is wrong