Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question some advice

alright heres how it goes. i have a 98' f150, triton v8 engine (it says 4.6L and 5.4L), and its supercharged with a vortech supercharger v-1.

my truck skips usually when i get up 60-80mph. i figured it was the spark plugs that had to be the problem, but thats not all. i was trying to top out my truck, once i got a little over 100mph the engine light started to blink and i slowed my truck at a stop sign, once i started to slowly take off it started to skip like it wanted to turn off. i turned it off and later turned it back on, and its been running normal, but the engine light is still on (its been on since i got it a couple months back). now im going to change out my spark plugs cus they need to be changed, later i went and got my codes checked and i have a miss fire in my 3rd cylinder, i thought maybe my O2 censors might be involved too but idk that much about vehicles. i know my supercharger should give my truck a hell of a lot of kick and speed but it really hasnt climbed up to 100mph fast enough to where its supposed to be.

i would like to know what i should do. and if a miss fire in my cylinder is a bad thing, and things i need to replace.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Got a pic of the engine? If its a 4.6 change the wires and coil packs [2], if you have a 5.4 change the COPs [8]. What heat range are the plugs you are putting in the truck? What tuner does the truck have?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 PM

i cant figure out how to add pics. and wat do you mean by tuner and heating range
Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing you didn't install the supercharger or have much to do with the installation.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Adding PICS is an adventure all by itself. Easy for others but challenging for me. Heat range, is the temperature the spark plug is designed to operate at. Too cold will tend to foul and missfire. Too hot will lead to detonation and all sorts of not so good stuff. Always use the heat range designed for the engine and installation. From what experienced members say, use the Motorcraft plugs in the engine. Do not substitute with other brands.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 PM

im pretty sure my engine is a 4.6. my supercharger is a v-1 vortech supercharger. i may just have to start rebuilding my engine, and my heating range is fine its right in the middle its not to hot and it doesnt stay cold. if you need a bigger pic let me know.

explain more of what the tuner is.(sorry idk that much about trucks, thats why im here)

also my truck makes a weird whistle when i keep it under 30 but when i go faster it stops, also when i stop driving and turn off the truck it continues to whistle for a few more seconds then stops. and sometimes i hear my engine make a light huff n puff noise kind of like a train but quieter, i can only hear it when im in my truck and driving maybe under 40, any tips?

Last edited by correy123; 03-05-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: some advice