Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

solenoid going out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default solenoid going out?

I am asking this because I don't have any experience with modern Ford starting systems. This morning I could not get the starter motor to operate. I could hear the solenoid clicking strongly but the motor would not turn. This told me the safety interlock was working ok. The battery is good, no problem with the alternator, I will check the cables but I don't think they are bad. I cycled the key several times and it engaged as it should. Did I just get the first warning of a Solenoid/starter failure? How about the solenoid mounted in the engine compartment. Which is most likey to be the problem. Or is the truck upset because I have note spent any money on it lately, Gas doesn't count.

I noticed the starter has a solenoid on it to engage the starter gear, Ford used to have a Bendix spring engagement system, we just called it "the Bendix, when the motor spinned up to speed the gear was driven forward on the shaft and engaged the ring gear, when the engine started the thrust from the engine threw the starter gear off, and it returned to its' resting position. You could alway tell when the Bendix was failing the motor would whine away but would not engage the ring gear. the poor soul trying to get his truck started would get to the point where he was speaking in tongues, ^%#@(!!+++*(^&%#$#!!! arrgh!! Such failures always followed Ford crap out rule number 1.

Rule #1 Fords will crap out when one or more of the following conditions are met:
A. 15 degree F or colder,
B. At least 50 miles from home.
C. The parts stores are closed.
D. If they are open they don't have the part
E. You can't find the tool to fix it.
F. Flat broke
G.Just spend all of your money on something else, see section H
H.Your girl friend is riding with you.

As a Codicil to section H; never ever put a placard on your dash that says
If you are not here after what I am here after
you will be here after I am gone.

if you do this the engine, and/or the transmission will blow up leaving you friendless, and broke.

Last edited by transmaster; 09-24-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It should be the starter or the cable from the solenoid to the starter. The solenoid is clicking so it is working. The interlock would stop the solenoid from clicking. The starter shouldn't have a solenoid on it, it might be the bump that gives clearance for the internals.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM

I was looking at the starter and it has a solenoid on it but it is not a switching solenoid but engages the drive gear. I sure like the design of the GM AC/Delco starter such as they equipped the circa 1975 Cadillacs with The two bolts that held the starter in where oriented straight down instead of parallel with the body of the starter. Mucho easy to get out.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2008, 04:15 PM
We'd do it

That sure looks like a Ford starter, but looks nothing like mine. Of course mine is an '87. Sounds like an unusual setup, the whole reason for the remote located solenoid was to keep it away from the heat of the exhaust. Sounds strange to have two.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:30 PM

Here is what the starter looks like for your 87 model.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
We'd do it

Yep, there's the bump. Yours is also smaller, one of those high torque mini starters.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 PM

I have determined it is the Solenoid on the starter, Of course.

Ford Rule of crapping out (FORCO) #2
1. the part that fails is always in the hardest to get to area
2. To remove the part without bleeding hands it needs a weird wrench you don't have
3. The part needed to fix a system, starting, ignition, etc will always be the most expensive one.
4. If you replace a separate part such as bad bearings on a alternator, the whole thing will fail after it is reinstalled
5. The retard at the parts store will sell you the wrong part. ARRRGH!

Now I am trying to decide how far to go with this repair job, just get the solenoid or replace the whole starter.
The starter sounds just fine, has the proper velocity, no grinding sounds, so I think I can get away with just the solenoid. But then there is FORCO #2 section 4 to think about.

Last edited by transmaster; 09-24-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the solenoid can be disassembled, it can be repaired by sanding it's inner terminals - they are right under it's rear cap. If it clicks - it works, but it can't provide enough power to the starter motor. You may also want to replace "the bendix" because according to your FORCO rules and Murphy's laws that part would be next.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 AM

Turned out is was the reduction gear set in the starter. I had no warning the starter was going to fail.
Most of the time you can hear something is wrong in my case it was working fine one day the next nothing.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue: Solenoid or Starter?

I'm having the same issue: The starter makes a clicking noise when I turn the key, the battery/power level according ot the dash gauge seems fine, but the engine never starts.

Edit: I have a 1997 Ford F150 XLT RWD with the 4.6L V8 motor. Thought the problem may be the battery, but the radio/power windows work fine.

Last edited by dlbjeff; 07-05-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added truck details

Quick Reply: solenoid going out?