Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

sloppy shift lever trouble going to drive will not go at first then catches goes fine

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face sloppy shift lever trouble going to drive will not go at first then catches goes fine

sloppy shift lever trouble going to drive will not go at first then catches goes fine. shift lever is sloppy but just work on and move shifter to go into park that fix now i can not go into drive with out issues. the transmission shop told me he thinks the the first drum of transmission is crack. but did not have issues into started messing with shift lever. if I pull the shift lever forward seems work better. please help
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Specs on truck?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

The shift lever has some bushings on arms in the engine compartment. right at the fire wall. They connect the linkage to the transmission. These split and fall out leaving the pin loose and sloppy. They are a pain to get to but worth the effort. It is NOT your transmission if it's shifting fine. Google the steering column picture for your truck and you'll see what you need.

Quick Reply: sloppy shift lever trouble going to drive will not go at first then catches goes fine