Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Slapping/Knocking/Pinging sounds

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slapping/Knocking/Pinging sounds

So, out of nowhere as it warmed up yesterday, my truck started making a slightly audible pinging noise that would tend to go away after accelerating a bit.

Today, the pinging was more of a rattle noise that would come and go if I gunned it, and it would stop very suddenly. On my way home from getting the kids, it went into a full out knock. It was almost like a wood-on-wood sound. A while later I started it for my wife (who is more handy with cars than me, she grew up with a mechanic as a father) and it was making a rat-tat slapping noise instead of a solid knock.

The oil is a bit old but not burnt, and yes it needs a change here (I was going to do it tomorrow, as a matter of fact) in the next few days. I did notice a grey foam when I opened the oil cap, and I remembered back to a few weeks ago when I drove through a deep puddle it started to drive funny until I drove it out a mile or so and then it went back to normal.

The noise seems to be coming from the direction of the water pump, and seems to completely coincide with the water pumps rotation (and for some reason there is a darker streak on the belt that hits right then, but I haven't noticed any slippage).

I'm kind of worried it's a rod, but I really don't know. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 83 Likes on 78 Posts

You may have answered your own question.
1, Gray foam under the oil filler is indication of water in the oil.
2, After hitting deep puddle, things got "funny".
3, Sound coming from area around water pump & streak on belt.

Belt & water pump may be shot. Even if the WP is good, a bad belt will make noises.
Drain the oil ASAP! If you got water in it, your engine will be very unhappy & will make noises letting you know about it.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I agree with Tiresmoke. Change the oil and filter and put a can of SeaFoam in it. I'd pull off the belt and at least spin the water pump by hand to see if it's free and has no side play in it. Also flex the belt and look at the grooves for cracking and replace it if needed.

Quick Reply: Slapping/Knocking/Pinging sounds