Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Shuddering old issue asked a different way

Old 05-15-2016, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shuddering old issue asked a different way

I know that similar question have been asked previously onthis subject but here is what I have. I have a 2001 Ford F150 Lariat, with a5.4L engine, automatic transmission and I have 127,000 mile on it. I did notpurchase this truck new so when I got it the truck had over 100,000 miles on italready. The truck has been setting up in my driveway for months without beingstarted up or driven because I was out of town. When my engine is cold like inthe morning or at night when I am driving along around 30 to 40 the trucksstarts jerking. If I give it more gas it smooths out. Once it warms up it seemsto do better. There are no check lights coming on that I can see. Someone toldme that it was a Transmission shudder and I added an additive that was designto help that. I am not really sure but I do believe that it help some. I havealso seen somewhere online that it may be a low-power misfire. The people atthe parts store said that if it was a low-power misfire it would show a checkengine light. Any suggestions? I thoughtabout changing out the transmission fluid and filter then adding the additiveback in with the new fluid. I thought about giving it a tune up. Should I justtake this truck to the Ford Dealership and let them put it on their equipmentsince it is setup for Ford. The truck is 15 years old with a 127,000 miles onit. My wife want me to just get a new truck but I am cheap and it is runninggreat except for this little problem. When it is not shuddering it will out runanything except for a filling station. It demands that I stop at all filling stationalong the way.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:21 PM

Update on truck. I took it for a long drive today and discovered that it is doing the shudder/misfire more often than I thought. I was driving along at 70 and it did a shudder/misfire. I was on level highway so there was no additional load applied. Still wondering what is this and what do I need to do. I forgot to say that I did install a new fuel filter.

Last edited by brownford; 05-17-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Change the plugs, use Motorcraft. If it still misses, you will need to start checking the cops. Use Motorcraft cops also for best results.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:08 PM

Changed the plug and discovered that two of the plugs was wet. It is running fine now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shuddering old issue asked a different way