Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

shreaded serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shreaded serpentine belt

i have an 92 f150 with the straight six. it only has 90k miles on it. replaced serpentine belt over the weekend and didnt drive again til work today. when i got off work started the truck and heard the belt squealing. popped the hood and had started to shread the belt. got it to a buddy's house to replace the belt again. put the belt on and started the truck and belt started to come off the crank pulley. checked alignment of all the pulleys and everything seems ok, tensioner moves freely, and tension is good on the belt. only thing i noticed is the water pump pulley seems worn on the front side(nearest radiator) and pulling the belt off the crank pulley. does this plausible or am i just hoping i dont have to replace the crank pulley or harmonic balancer. any input would be great
Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

The only reason the belt would shred is if one of the pulleys is bad. Yes your water pump sounds very suspect but also check the alternator, power steering pump, smog pump and the idler pulleys. They should be smooth and free of any roughness when turning them. I very much doubt it's the crank pulley.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:18 PM

ok. my belt was sqeeling on my 95 inline6 and then then pully on the power steering pump pulled it off toward the back. replaced belt. did same thing with the new belt. I think power steering pump is going bad but some other mechanic said it was the tensioner.. another thread just said something about precharging the tensioner? do now I am looking up what that means. I think unit is bad because I had to add power steering fluid because it blew some out the top under cap.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hoytray
ok. my belt was sqeeling on my 95 inline6 and then then pully on the power steering pump pulled it off toward the back. replaced belt. did same thing with the new belt. I think power steering pump is going bad but some other mechanic said it was the tensioner.. another thread just said something about precharging the tensioner? do now I am looking up what that means. I think unit is bad because I had to add power steering fluid because it blew some out the top under cap.

I wouldnt think it would be the powersteering pump. I had a bad power steering pump on a inline six and drove it for a few weeks until I had time to change it but never hurt my belt at all. I would guess the tensioner but who knows.
The following users liked this post:
hoytray (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM

what I have ended up doing was purchased a idler arm pully; just incase. I took the old one off and compared the two; I think the old one is still good so put it back on. I then cleaned all the grooves on every pully with my pocket knife and a wire brush, lots of old belt and other crap needed scraped out; took about 45 minutes and that is what I think it was. I sure hope it isnt the p/s pump. could be! but I am gonna go for a drive here in a lil bit. It is snowing heavy right now so I am praying my steering dont fail. on the test yesterday it seemed to be fixed.

Quick Reply: shreaded serpentine belt