Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Maintenance Shop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default service engine soon light flashing then goes away

hi i am recently having problems with my 03 f-150 5.4 engine seems to be running rough and is like it is starving for gas,or water in fuel,or fuel filter plugged or is running on 6 or 7 cylinders.those were my first few guess untill service engine soon light came on.so i disconnected the battery to clear computer to see if it came back and it did it flashes then goes away.on the other hand i have a head gasket that is gone no water in oil has been leaking oil for awhile but never givin me anymore trouble other than the leaking oil.so now my question is are these 2 problems related or is there something else wrong?any thoughts would be appreciated.
majick872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Moderator
5 Year Member
 
kozal01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,331
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 62
Thanked 231 Times in 119 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default

a flashing CEL usually indicates a misfire. if it thows another CEL have the codes pulled and narrow down to what cylinder is misfiring. if you say you have a bad head gasket that would be the first thing i would suspect. have you done a compression test to see if its leaking?
__________________

2005 F-150 Crewcab Lariat 4X4: Salvage recovery, (see garage) Edge Evo tuner, Weather Tech floor liners, Leer XL topper
Click-->How To: Spark plug change-2005-2008 5.4 3V V8
Click-->Fuel Pump Driver Module- Check yours!!
kozal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozal01 View Post
a flashing CEL usually indicates a misfire. if it thows another CEL have the codes pulled and narrow down to what cylinder is misfiring. if you say you have a bad head gasket that would be the first thing i would suspect. have you done a compression test to see if its leaking?
Thanks for the info it is deffinetly like a misfire,the service engine light did flash then go away but know seems to stay.i havent had a compression test done i am just assumming that the head gasket is leaking because it is a defect from factory and i tryied to locate oil leak and it seems to be up high on the back side of the passenger side its not a valve cover gasket thought it was an intake gasket but there realy isnt any oil in the lifter valley like the old engines.now i have never done plugs or anything really to the truck it now has 161 000 kms on it.
majick872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Green '01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moncks Corner, SC
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Probably not the same problem as yours, but:
My mother-in-law's 2002 Crown Victoria had similar symptoms with rough idle (stalled a couple of times) and pi$$ poor acceleration - 60,000 miles. Code reader said misfire at one of the plugs, which we removed and found it fouled but also saw a tiny white spot on the side of the spark plug boot. That indicated a pinhole in the boot which allowed the spark to short out to the cylinder head in the plug well. Rplaced all plugs and boots and the problem was solved.
If you replace the plugs, don't forget to gap each and use anti-seize on the threads.
Green '01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Moderator
5 Year Member
 
kozal01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,331
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 62
Thanked 231 Times in 119 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green '01 View Post
Probably not the same problem as yours, but:
My mother-in-law's 2002 Crown Victoria had similar symptoms with rough idle (stalled a couple of times) and pi$$ poor acceleration - 60,000 miles. Code reader said misfire at one of the plugs, which we removed and found it fouled but also saw a tiny white spot on the side of the spark plug boot. That indicated a pinhole in the boot which allowed the spark to short out to the cylinder head in the plug well. Rplaced all plugs and boots and the problem was solved.
If you replace the plugs, don't forget to gap each and use anti-seize on the threads.
yep, thats a good point. sounds like its time for a tune up anyways, so a new set of plugs wont hurt and while your at it, inspect the COP boots
__________________

2005 F-150 Crewcab Lariat 4X4: Salvage recovery, (see garage) Edge Evo tuner, Weather Tech floor liners, Leer XL topper
Click-->How To: Spark plug change-2005-2008 5.4 3V V8
Click-->Fuel Pump Driver Module- Check yours!!
kozal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozal01 View Post
yep, thats a good point. sounds like its time for a tune up anyways, so a new set of plugs wont hurt and while your at it, inspect the COP boots
yes i do know its time for a tune up but i am scared to do it myself not because i am not mechanicaly inclined its that i have heard horror stories about changing the plugs as they like to break,and i did take it to the ford dealer to see how much it would cost to do the head gasket and they told me it calls for 19 hours of shop time at over 100 dollars an hour here in canada i cant really afford it,that would be the time to do the plugs is when i get the head gasket fixed i've just been trying to hold off as long as i can but now its giving me the other troubles
majick872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Same Issue Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by majick872 View Post
hi i am recently having problems with my 03 f-150 5.4 engine seems to be running rough and is like it is starving for gas,or water in fuel,or fuel filter plugged or is running on 6 or 7 cylinders.those were my first few guess untill service engine soon light came on.so i disconnected the battery to clear computer to see if it came back and it did it flashes then goes away.on the other hand i have a head gasket that is gone no water in oil has been leaking oil for awhile but never givin me anymore trouble other than the leaking oil.so now my question is are these 2 problems related or is there something else wrong?any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hey, I have a 2003 Expedition with the same 5.4L as your F-150, which experienced the exact same issues (i.e. running rough, seeming to run on 6 or 7 cylinders, and a fluid leak of some kind coming from the passenger side of the engine). I don't know if you have fixed you engine yet, but in case you haven't, the problem was that a heat control valve for the radiator fluid cracked, and spilled anti-freeze directly down onto a cylinder, which fryed the sparkplug, coil, and caused it to run on 7 cylinders. I would check there if anyone reading this has the same problems. Hope this helped.
FordExpedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service Engine Soon Light PhillFlyers87 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 11 04-04-2012 09:33 PM
Engine light flashing-05' Ford F150 supercrew recoupe 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 8 12-12-2011 11:09 PM
Service Engine soon Light kookookachew 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 9 01-05-2010 12:13 AM
service engine soon light is on reinke Engine / Drivetrain Talk 10 09-09-2009 07:42 PM
Service Engine Light? cmcmana1 Maintenance Shop 6 04-25-2008 09:20 AM

Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.