Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Seats shifting/rocking and Engineers

Old 10-18-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats shifting/rocking and Engineers

This is my first post. I guess I should have introduced myself...that will be my second post. I'm going crazy with seat issues in my King Ranch.

Right after purchasing my 2014 King Ranch F150 (to replace my much-beloved 2006 Lariat with 280,000 miles), the passenger seat began to move/shift. When breaking or accelerating, you could feel a little shift in the seat. I tried several different placements to get the shifting to stop, nothing worked. I took it to the dealership and they said that there was an amazing amount of "play" in the seats (they found movement in the diver's side as well). Apparently the bushings had been stripped (I know ZERO about such engineering marvels) and both seat tracks had to be replaced. Within a very short mileage, the passenger seat began having the issue again. It took a while before I could get it into the shop, but they again found that there was, in fact, movement in the seats and again, replaced the affected seat tracks. Within 500 miles, I had to take it back in for the same issue. This time, they only found issues in the passenger seat, and that was replaced.

See a pattern?

The passenger seat tracks have been replaced four times, the driver side has been replaced twice. I am having the issue and again, the dealership is telling me that they will replace the seat tracks (5th time's a charm!), although this time, the passenger heating/cooling in the seat cushion is also having to be replaced. When all this was determined, I was at the end of my 36,000 mile warranty.

Obviously, replacing the seat tracks is not fixing the underlying cause of whatever is going on.

I have scanned a LOT of owners forums looking for this issue and I haven't seen much for new Fords. I wondered if anyone else has had issues or might know the cause?

The dealership says that sooner or later, the Ford engineers will have to get involved, but I was told that two seat-track changes ago. Has anyone had experience with that?

Ten Ford vehicles (9 of them trucks, 8 of those F150's) and we've never had this problem.

Search this Thread