Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

"Sealed for life" transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 234 Likes on 194 Posts

Default "Sealed for life" transmission

2013 truck.
All I want to do is change my transmission filter and top off the fluid before 30k. Everything ive read here says not to do it. But the only reason given is because "the manual says blah blah, sealed for life, blah blah".
Well if Ford really thinks it a "sealed for life" transmission, why make a bolt-on, droppable pan? I call BS. If I want to change the damn filter because I think it'll extend the trannys life over the course of 20 years, I should be able to. Its just crazy to me how strict we are with engine oil filter change intervals, but no one bats an eye to tranny filter change intervals and we expect it to go half a million miles without ever questioning it.
What is everyones opinion on this?
Why is there so much resistance to the idea of doing an initial filter change between 20k-40k miles to remove any potential metal shavings in the transmission BEFORE letting it go for ages?
I'm not talking about flushing, I'm simply talking about changing the filter, topping off, and that's it.

Last edited by johndog82; 01-23-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Couldnt agree more. Im just reaching the 30k mark and want to do a fluid and filter change as well. Being cold out and lazy i asked around a few shops for quote and when i told them the milage they looked at me like i was crazy.believe it or not the ford dealer lady gave me abit of attitude regarding how it doesnt need it blah blah blah what!??! Im asking for a service and your giving me attitude?!?! Lol. I checked today and fluid still looks brand new so may hold off awhile longer and wait for a nice day to do it myself seeing as every shop i asked quoted me 340+ canadian to do the service!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Yeah umm the dipstick to refill with is under the truck directly on top of the trans, it's about 4" long and requires special tools to pump the fluid back in.

The trans is sealed for life just as you have read about. They do say to change it at 150,000 miles but only if used in severe duty.
Advances in metallurgy and chemical compounds are really that good.

From the shop manual.

Last edited by RLXXI; 01-25-2016 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (01-26-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

i dont think the OP gives a rat's *** about the manual, based on his first post
Old 01-25-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ecopat
It is what it is as they say. If he want's to waste money for nothing far be it for me to object, it's his truck after all.

Just laying down the reality of why, and how.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (01-25-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 04:05 PM

Never said I was going to do it, I said I want to do it, but need more of a scientific explanation as to why its not needed.
Are they using synthetic for the factory fill now? They sure didn't on my 90's Ranger which used Mercon, so I'm used to tranny service that's alittle more frequent than "never".
The explanation about advancememts in metallurgy and chemical compounds is good. They could have mentioned that in the manual or mentioned that the factory fill is synthetic, instead of just saying "its sealed for life, we don't need to explain why, so don't question it". That's ridiculous IMO. Its like they assume that everyone reading it is a newbie or soccer mom who has no experience maintaining older vehicles. And if you spend 100k consecutive miles towing in the desert, they expect you to not question anything, period. Give me a break.
Originally Posted by ecopat
You nailed it, that's exactly how I feel about the entire manual

Last edited by johndog82; 01-26-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by johndog82
Its like they assume that everyone reading it is a newbie or soccer mom who has no experience maintaining older vehicles.
BINGO!!!

Ford can't/won't cater to one group without pissing someone else off by printing out a bunch of technical specs that might otherwise go straight over their heads (soccer mom).

Like it or not when you ask what time it is, they will not tell you how to build a watch and/or give a component list.

Welcome to reality.

P.S. This is not new, my 2004 Explorer also had a sealed for life trans.

You can always get the same training Ford tech's get if you want to see that parts list and know how and why everything does what it does. Follow the link... https://www.motorcraftservice.com/product/training

Direct link to our transmissions workings https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Pu...productID=1063

It ain't free.

Last edited by RLXXI; 01-26-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Hmm paid the dealer to do mine, hope they did it at 30K!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
BINGO!!!

Ford can't/won't cater to one group without pissing someone else off by printing out a bunch of technical specs that might otherwise go straight over their heads (soccer mom).

Like it or not when you ask what time it is, they will not tell you how to build a watch and/or give a component list.

Welcome to reality.

P.S. This is not new, my 2004 Explorer also had a sealed for life trans.

You can always get the same training Ford tech's get if you want to see that parts list and know how and why everything does what it does. Follow the link... https://www.motorcraftservice.com/product/training

Direct link to our transmissions workings https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Pu...productID=1063

It ain't free.
The problem is I came from an almost 20 year old truck that IIRC did not have a 'lifetime' fill.
I do appreciate your input, and will not worry about my trans fluid other than the level. But would it have killed them to put an extra sentence in the manual explaining the new ultra low maintenance standards? That wouldve covered pretty much everyone. One more sentence isn't going to make the newbs quiver and run.

Last edited by johndog82; 01-27-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Hmm paid the dealer to do mine, hope they did it at 30K!
I would be paranoid that they took the cash didn't do the job and lied about it since the manual that rnl posted states its not needed on a vehicle w/30k lol.

Last edited by johndog82; 01-26-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: "Sealed for life" transmission