Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Scratching Sound in Right Front '06 5.4 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratching Sound in Right Front '06 5.4 4x4

im having some trouble in the right forward portion of my '06 5.4L 4x4
There's a noise that i can't identify -
No indicator lights are on, and there's no noise at idle. When I start driving though, from 1300rpm and up there's a scratching noise that sounds like its coming from my front right tire/wheel/quarter panel/rotor.
The noise is only there when I'm keeping constant pressure on the gas after 1300rpm; the cadance and volume of the sound increases with additional speed. The weird thing is that when i switch it into 4wd the sound goes away.
Now, while in 4wd the sound will not return. And, if i switch in back into 2wd (still with constant pressure on the gas) the noise does not come back either. But, by slowing down in 2wd (coming to a complete or at least a rolling stop), I bring the noise back by accelerating.

The noise almost sounds like something is dragging underneath or scratching the rotor - I took the wheel off and did a pretty thorough inspection but can't really find anything.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
Please help, and thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna suggest this even though it may be off base... does the sound resemble what you hear when you try to grind ice in a blender?

If so, check your IWEs. A search will bring up plenty of infoon IWEs here - I had that problem on my 06 5.4 4x4 - but the sound was more intermittent than you describe and it was not a scratching, but as I say, sounded like ice being crushed in a blender.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 AM

well its funny you mention ice. Because, I was driving through a big pile of ice and snow when it happened. I just thought that I had picked some up.
It does sound very similar to ice being crushed/blended up - maybe not quite as violent (if that makes any sense)

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM

hey lariat

thanks for the help
this weekend I did a IWE/Solenoid and Actuator fix; and no more problems or weird noises

my driver side actuator looked pretty good; but my passenger side one was a little chewed up

thanks again for the help
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. I got lucky as mine was covered by my extended warranty. Cost me a $100 deductible.

Glad I could help!

Quick Reply: Scratching Sound in Right Front '06 5.4 4x4