Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Scraping noise in front end at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping noise in front end at high speeds

I have a 2006 FX4 that just a few days ago started making a scraping noise when I was going about 50 mph. The friction sound increases as I pick up speed and slows down as I drop speed. The sound goes away as I come to a complete stop and it feels like something "goes back into place" as the wheels stop. The scraping sound happens at completely random times and it usually happens when I am driving between 50-70 MPH. My initial thought was brakes, but I think this may be related to something in the 4-wheel drive system.

Anyone had a similar problem? Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by tfriggs
I have a 2006 FX4 that just a few days ago started making a scraping noise when I was going about 50 mph. The friction sound increases as I pick up speed and slows down as I drop speed. The sound goes away as I come to a complete stop and it feels like something "goes back into place" as the wheels stop. The scraping sound happens at completely random times and it usually happens when I am driving between 50-70 MPH. My initial thought was brakes, but I think this may be related to something in the 4-wheel drive system.

Anyone had a similar problem? Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sounds like an inner fender panel is loose and the wind is pushing it against a tire.

Quick Reply: Scraping noise in front end at high speeds