Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Runs Rough at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs Rough at low rpm

Looking for some help with my '95 F150 (302 V8). It was not wanting to idle/idling too high depending on the day, and wanting to choke out at low rpm while driving. Throttle position sensor read low voltage so we replaced it along with plugs, wires, rotor & cap. That solved the idle issue, but it still wants to choke out while driving at low rpm and runs rough, almost like it's missing or has the wrong fuel/air mix. I took off the throttle body and cleaned out all the gunk, didn't solve the problem.

Every auto parts guy tries to talk me out of getting the Oxygen Sensor, but am I wrong in thinking the symptoms are exactly that? Also of note, tapping the idle control valve does not have any effect, so wondering about that as well. I don't want to just throw parts at he problem, but the dealer was no help at all when they tried to diagnose it, and everything I've read about oxygen sensor issues sound just like what my truck is doing. I was told it didn't need timed when we replaced the rotor, that the computer will do that. But it sounds like an engine that's not timed

Quick Reply: Runs Rough at low rpm