Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Running hot, hesitating, leaking...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Running hot, hesitating, leaking...?

I own a 1986 F150. Inline six 300, 4spd manual.

This truck has given me a boatload of issues lately and I have owned it since Mid April.

The problems i am experiencing are as follows:

After the truck runs for a while, and gets to operating tempature. I will shut it off at my destination, or along route (Gas station, ect.) And i will start it maybe 4 or 5 minutes later, take it back on the highway and when i shift into 3rd gear. At around 35 mph it hesitates, and completely loses power. And then will regain power 15 seconds later at most. It will also stall when i take it out of gear to stop, but only after the hesitation occurs.

My temp gauge runs over halfway and stops at 60% has never overheated but only started doing this in the last month, as with all other issues, Exhaust manifold glows for a short time after being driven. (Glowing dies down in a minute or so)

Heater core hose sprung a leak sometime in the last day or so, just a small hole thats shooting out really hot coolant. Producing nice puddles. After i got home from work tonight, i let it sit. And will be replacing the hose first thing in the morning.

I have a theory in my head that somehow all of this is connected to a larger problem. If anyone has any theories or any advice or input please do not hesitate to comment. Im at my wits end and Either way my budgets taking a hit. Would rather know whats wrong before it does though... Thank you.

Quick Reply: Running hot, hesitating, leaking...?